1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poor Steering

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JTChevy, Oct 17, 2001.

1. JTChevy

JTChevy Junior Member

Help! Help! I have a "77" Chevy 3/4 4x4. The problem I have with it is the play in the steering. I installed a rebuild steering gear and the play is still there. Is there an adjustment that I can make on the gear itself ( The locking nut on top ) that could tighten up the play. Thanks.

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

You shouldnt monkey with the Pitman shaft lash adjustment unless you have the gear sitting on a bench.

My experience with GM products, loose steering=idler arm failure, check tie rod ends also.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The most common steering item on your 77 to wear out is the drag link. It connects the Pitman arm to the Steering Arm. Cut the wheels all the way to the left. Look closely at the drag link. Have someone else bounce the steering wheel left to right, basically just moving it back and forth in the "play". You'll see right away if the drag link is bad. The Centerlink is far less common to wear out. If you see no play in the Drag Link, check the Centerlink. It has one Tierod end on it, and the other end is actually part of the Centerlink. That's all there is to check on a 77 4wd's steering.

~Chuck