1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

poor spreading pattern?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by vis, Jan 1, 2008.

1. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

I have a 3 yd torwell economizer spreader, with a 9hp honda engine that is not spreading correctly. It spreads good to the left and right sides of the truck, but very little gets thrown directly behind me. It also throws alot right into the back of the truck, leaving a 2 ft wide path of sand/salt that is not evenly spread...

The throttle is up, the gate is dropping enough matierial...I just dont get it.

The spinner has 5 "flaps" on it and it is a 12'' diameter spinner.

Could it be an issue with the spinner? do I need to switch to a 4 flap spinner wheel? It seems as if the matierial is getting "held" onto by the wheel, and its letting it go just as its making its way toward the truck..if that makes any sense..

any ideas?? :confused::confused:

2. bluerider

bluerider Junior Member
    from vermont

Is the spinner level? If the front of the spinner is a little lower than the rest of it then it could cause it to throw the material of where it is lowest. In you case, onto the back of the truck. I have found that I have problems with my sander throws more material to one side than the other. The only thing that I could think of is that it was cause the spinner isnt level.

3. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

thats a good idea... I think it is level, but i will definitally check....

anything else that would cause this? my other spreaders spread evenly from left to right, but i think they have 10'' spinners with 4 flaps on them?

4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i'm not sure what to tell you i am still thinking about it but:

you don't need to change the spinner

inside the chute is there 2 flaps that direct flow before it even hits the spinner?

why is it getting into the back of the truck is the spinner lower than the deflector's or is there no deflector's? if there is none you will need to rig something up, to get it to spread heavier in the center i would think you need to knock the salt to the ground directly behind the spinner (or in front) try puting something like an old licesne plate in front of the spinner temporary to see if it works

if you have deflectors and the spinner is too low maybe the spinner shaft has slid down in the pillow-blocks

try to post some pics maybe we could help you better