1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poor spread pattern

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rpainetfd, Jan 20, 2009.

1. rpainetfd

rpainetfd Member

I have a AirFlo gas Vbox SS, 3 vane spinner. It spins clockwise looking down on it. I get a very heavy pattern on the left side, not much on the right. Should I try a 6 vane spinner, or is this the nature of the beast?
  2. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

They always seem to throw more to the left. I think they are designed this way to keep the majority of the material out of the windrow. Try adjusting your flaps or ride slightly off to the right.
  3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

whats a 3 vane spinner?
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think there are 3 vertical fins on the round spinner to spread the salt.
  5. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

If the spinner rotates clockwise, and the material lands on the back half of the spinner, the material is going to favor the left side.

If the material lands on the front half of the spinner, the material is going to favor the right side.

This is obviously designed when building the spreader, the relationship between the rear sprockets and the spinner shaft.

When I'm washing my truck down after a storm, there is always a good wad of sand stuck to my left mud flap and hardly any on my right.
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Check to see if there is anything stuck in the chute. All my salters favour 1 side, you just need to know which side and compensate for it.
  7. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Don't know about air-flo but other models have baffles in the chute which help. But it's definitely done on purpose, thus you can "cast" your product under cars and have an easier time seeing what your spreader is doing having it favor the drivers side. I think a 6 fin spinner will give you a more even spread but will still favor the left side.
  8. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I noticed one of our Henderson's was favoring left side it didn't used to and none of the others do at all....can't quite figure that one out!
  9. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

I agree

Its all about where the material lands on the spinner