1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poor quality!!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by OneBadDodge06, Jul 26, 2007.

1. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Hello all Western Plow Owners!!

I just wanted to bring it to your attention to LOOK over your new plows/mounts/undercarriages. I got a new undercarriage today and welds are being done by blind waterheads!!! :angry:

Cold lap that I can stick my finger nail under which means there's no penetration, big a$$ deep craters, poor position on fillets...so what do you want for your hard earned money??

QUALITY SO TAKE THAT JUNK BACK TO THE DEALER AND HAVE THEM MAKE IT RIGHT!!!

Thank you. If anybody cares to see photos i'm more than happy to share. Another satisfied Western customer.:realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

buzzz

i think everybody forgot what quality control is! it wont take much of this and it will affect the bottom line! they better get with the program,

3. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

damn, that really sucks, could we see the pics??, im curious to see how bad it is first hand

4. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I would like to see those pictures also.

5. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

same. Its a shame, cause Im a western fan,

6. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Yea definetly please show us the pics, im very curious.

7. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Pics coming soon...thanks Scott for resizing them and posting!!:salute:

8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Picts attached. ( blade_masters can explain what your looking at - I'm just helping to post )

0726071844.jpg

0727071457.jpg

0727071458.jpg

0727071458b.jpg

0727071458c.jpg

9. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

That doesnt look so good Did you call Western? Good luck. Rich

10. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Thanks again Scott!!!

I sent them an email....I didn't see a customer service number on their site. I left them my phone # tho....still no call about my complaint:rolleyes:

Might be hard to tell so I'll go through these....first pic.........GIANT deep crater, guaranteed to get a crack goin!! Second pic is the cold lap weld that had no penetration then they tried to polish it up by running a downhill on top of it. Third is a support bracket that was burnt through half way into the bead and had gnarly undercut. The last two are just an example of the stitch welding on the inside of the main bracket. At best the angle is 25 degrees and damn near missing the joint. After looking at the different mount I got its not much better. But maybe some of you will take your money elsewhere.....nobody should have to spend good money on scrap steel.

11. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

heres a corporate listing. perhaps they can connect you to customer service. i agree with you. give em hell. good luck

Western Products-Douglas
    (414) 354-2315
    7777 N 73rd St Milwaukee, WI 53223

commercial use warrantee copy below.

http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/SnowplowCommercial.pdf

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  12. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Thank you very much Bribrius!! I will give an update as soon as I find something out.

13. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

It's a shame....it seems more and more that quantity is comming before quality. For me personally..I'm going to double check the brand new mount I just bought. Shuldn't have to but....kinda dissappointed in a company that I have backed for the better part of 2 decades.

14. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

I know what you mean. Two generations of Western owners with my dad and I and now I see crummy workmanship. I would go over that mount with a fine tooth comb and if you even think it looks horrid I'd make them replace it. The replacement I got has some nasty undercut but just like I told the customer service I don't have time to run to the dealer every time I see ^&*^&^^%^ unless they wanna pay me for my time and mileage.

15. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

its the bean counters fault. always the bean counters. more corporate a company gets more the bean counters worry about the pennies. if they can pay the guys welding five dollars a hour less and cut bennies by x and short the weld in each plow by y why buying cheaper equipment they can produce q amount of plows at the cost of f amount of dollars savings per plow at the speed of wz with a yearly cost savings per plow of my custome giving quarterly profits minus upper managements big chunk of wstm (we stole this money) of R (rich). i imagine fisher plows were better ten years ago than they are now too. BEAN COUNTERS. if they actually lowered the purchase costs and kept quality control in check or improved i might like them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2007
  16. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

This is the response I got. Apparently you gotta have a failure in order for them to say their stuff is garbage. Wish I could say the same about the money I spent on this.:realmad:

Hi, Jason.

Your photos were forwarded on to the Technical Department. They stand
    behind the product that you have in your possession and have extreme
    confidence in the workmanship. We rarely see mount failure because of
    the way that they are designed. Of course, if you would experience
    some
    type of failure, the mounts are fully guaranteed for the entire
    warranty
    period.

Sincerely,
    Customer Service

I've been a welder for 8 years. If John Deere let this stuff out to the dealer I'd be looking for a new job. I guess I'll be switching brands and I suggest the same to everybody else. If they aren't going to fix the problem and wait til one of us has a failure with 30 p.o'd customers calling and a foot of snow on the ground. :realmad:

17. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

what ya mean we put that out all the time at deere!!!:jester: :jester: just kidding nothing runs like a smear i mean a deere, I told u jas to buy a boss but no no u had to stay Lowal:dizzy: I seen they said they wil stand behind it ( hint hint ) 4 the lenght of the warrenty whats that two years then your a-- out of luck, a weld sould last a HELL of a lot longer then what see there, I'll be over this weekend to see the newest version that peacie of **** will not last a couple hard winter pushes. I would take the piece of **** back to midland and have them tare it down and reweld it them selfs or send a new one again!!!!:realmad:

18. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

My rebuttle

Hahaha..no the engineers are the ones that okay **** for those who don't care if they run scrap or not. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:waving:

I don't have the dodge with me so it won't be this weekend. But that's ok....Western isn't the only red plow around. As for standing behind things.......John Deere won't stand behind a manure spreader no matter what. Rewelding won't work, can't polish a turd!!

The new mount I got is full of undercut BUT like Western says WE'LL FIX IT WHEN IT BREAKS UNDER WARRANTY!! Yeah I can't wait for that to happen.

Now if Boss just made a trip edge v plow.

19. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

At deere that' s why we have tons of inpsection on welds not just the engineers put hourly boys looking out for quality also , , Did we just send a bunch of guys back to class because of there welds where not up to pare !!!:nono: thats what happens when you have mexico build it for ua they do not give a s--- what they put out:gunsfiring: !!! Prim exsample is two years ago when they sent me to ind to look at those sweeps for the tillage equipment that was out soarced to MEXICO go MEXICO

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  20. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

The ones who are in weld school right now are ones that haven't taken the class yet or have been out too long and are required to. The inspection boys do a good job for production. Doin their part to saving our a$$. I wish I could say these parts were made in Mexico for the fact that I wouldn't be so baffled why they turned out like they did. Yaaay go Douglas Dynamics! I might even stop in to Hawkeye Truck tomorrow and tell them guys so they can tell their customers about Western.:nod: