1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poor Quality

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by nycpsd, Mar 12, 2010.

1. nycpsd

nycpsd Junior Member
    from nyc/pa

Just finish cleaning up the plow after the last storm and found this issue I believe to be poor weld placement on westerns part as the left side the weld is much lower and closer to the mount oppose to the right side in which it is higher. Contributing to the brace bending and cracking the brace where the bolt goes threw anyone think I have a warranty claim with this? jenns 276.jpg

jenns 281.jpg

jenns 277.jpg

jenns 282.jpg

jenns 276.jpg

jenns 281.jpg

jenns 277.jpg

jenns 282.jpg

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Certainly not the first time I've seen that. You may have to struggle to get it covered as they'll shout the abuse word but stand your ground and perhaps with enough perseverance you may just get it warrantteed. It works sometimes. :rolleyes:

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Change the title of your thread to Western.. blah..ba..blah.. maybe as a site sponser you'll get their attention.(Don't dis em and try your dealer first) Looks like it happened on a hard trip... you're right that weld is noticeably higher than the left side and definitly a contributing factor.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Did that bend from the recoil of the trip springs?

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

that bend is caused by trip spring rebound at high speed. we see this from time to time.

6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Good luck on a warranty from western for ****** welds. Been down that road before. Its always abuse from the operator, even when welds clearly had zero penetration.

7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Thats called a"High Speed Return". Its from the blade laying all the way down and allowing it to snap back. Wont get it covered under warranty.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Actually it's due to the plows getting lighter and cheaper. They took high speed returns for the first 40 years of their production with little problems...even without a trip shock, which would help reduce this issue now that they're lighter and cheaper. If the plow can't endure the use it was originally designed and intended for then it's no longer up to the job.

Harsh trips are a fact of plowing, if it can't take it then it's not up to the job it once was, which is definitely the case with Western's stuff in recent years.

9. nycpsd

nycpsd Junior Member
    from nyc/pa

Not complaining of no penetration on the weld and them cracking, I'm claiming bad placement which lead to the rib bending in the first place. Any ideas on fixing this? was thinking 1/4" plate cut the same as original rib, but thicker than original to take up the space that is left from the original piece between the bolt and the mount.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Pound it straight and add weld.

11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

B&B did you used to bartend up this way????:D

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think that's a line straight form the DD defect repair training camp.

13. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I think it is......I had some weld issues with my XLS.....I heard the word Abuse several times....I got on the phone with the tech from fisher and told him come on down and say the word abuse to my face....If anything i baby that plow....Needless to say..The repairs were done by a local welder....:mad:

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's a crock. They've got the market highly cornered right now. Between the powerplows, the folks with yellow paint running running through their veins, and chain lift mentality it won't change for a while. You can be sure, however, that I do not intend to ever purchase another brand new DD product.