1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poor quality plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WIPensFan, Feb 4, 2011.

1. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

These were photos were taken today at a elderly apt. complex a relative of mine lives in. I tried to get this account 2 yrs. ago but my bid was to high.:rolleyes: So they end up with work like this. I notice this stuff everwhere I go, do you guys see it too?
    Pic. 1. Entrance & Exit to underground parking. The pavement extends to the concrete wall to the left of the small door and to the concrete wall on the right of the big garage door.

Pic. 2 There is about 6-7' of unplowed pavement to the left side of the drive going down the hill into underground parking.

Pic. 3. There is a handicap parking stall under that pile of snow. The sign is straight ahead of it. Keep in mind, elderly housing. Wouldn't you want to keep all handicap stalls open??

Pic. 4. To the right of the truck is a parking stall. I understand some stalls get taken up with piles but this stall is never cleaned out, and to make matters worse, all they have to do is push it forward! In front of that truck is a huge open stacking area. Also this stall is directly behind the handicap stall, so all that snow could go there too.

Pic. 5. This photo shows the sidewalk to the left and the driveway apron to the right leading to the street. They have left 6-8' of the apron unplowed and it's similar on the other side. Very difficult for 2 cars to enter and exit at the same time, not to mention they are elderly drivers!!

underground 1.jpg

underground 2.jpg

handicap spot.jpg

parking stall.jpg

drive apron.jpg

2. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Money talks, its like that everywhere in Upstate NY this year. I've lost parking space in my lots this year, but nobody wants to pay to have the snow moved. It really sucks when they don't want to pay, I'm sure people would look at my lots right now and say poor things too. When you run out of room and the owner doesn't want to fork out the cash to clean it up, it reflects poorly on the contractor. Not to mention, don't want to pay you to come when its less than the 2 inch trigger. So we get a half inch here and there, it gets driven on and I got it broken up but its not like my per push sites, that's for sure. Those were dry before the road was just wet.

3. WIPensFan

It's not about losing parking spaces, we all deal with that. They have room to push the snow out of the way, they just choose not to. It would require better equipment ie...skidsteer, tractor, small loader, pull plow. These guys use a pickup with a front plow in a fairly tight space, so they can't get the snow where it should be stacked. With close to 20" or more in 2 days the ol front plow aint cuttin it.

4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Lazyness......Thats just Poor Quality Work....You get what you pay for.....Did you ask them if they are Happy with the Work....

5. WIPensFan

No, I have not talked to the property manager since I bid it. It's really out of the way for me, so I'm not pursuing it at the moment. I know some of the tenants aren't thrilled, but their opinions don't always matter.

6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I would talk to them soon or soon after the season......Its up to the Customer to set the Bar...If they are willing to accept this type of work....Shame on them.....They are paying for a service....

7. WIPensFan

I'm with you on talking to them soon, but I would have a hard time fitting it in my route right now. Maybe they have complained to the company about the service, IDK. It's been going on for a couple years and 2 different plowing services. There are so many people plowing these days it F's everything up for those of us who actually take some pride in our work.

8. qualitylawn

qualitylawn Senior Member

that looks like the kinda work guys around here do!

9. bub3020

bub3020 Member
    from ma.

i look at it this way, if they want to pay cheap money they get a cheap job. its that simple.

10. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

crap money = crap job. same with the apartment complex i'm in. friggin handicap spots are buried, etc... it's a joke. guys just out to make a buck, but don't have any sense about the business.

11. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Dang it Pen quit picking my work apart. I thought I did a nice job there.

12. WIPensFan

Ahhh...I wasn't gonna say who it was! Now that the cat's outa the bag, you gotta step it up a notch Crete, otherwise.....YOUR FIRED!!:drinkup:

13. Freebird

Freebird Member

Wait you live in a place that you do not plow? Need to get on that so you don't have to payup the rent.

I don't know what the law is there, but in many states/towns/cities it is actually illegal to pile snow in handicap spaces. You can eliminate spots elsewhere.

14. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 Senior Member

For me, that would be unacceptable and i'd never leave a property looking like that.

The piles of snow on the handicap spot/parking stall and the drive approach are what bother me the most, plus the access door for the underground parking has a crap job done on it.

I can see a little snow left on the ramp to the garage door and even to the right, I wouldn't leave it like that, but it did snow a lot.

Does the customer pay to have cleanup done after the fact or are they cheap? Sounds like the latter if they said your bid was too high. Snow removal is not cheap and if the customer wants it done right(this means possible cleanup the day after), then it's even more expensive.

I'd be interested if you know who the current contractor is... I assume this is in Dane County? PM me if you know.

15. WIPensFan

Yes, it's dane county. I do not know the name of the contractor, nor would I ever put that out there. Keep in mind this is 2 days after the storm is over. If it's not cleaned up by now, that's a problem in itself. That handicap stall has been a snow pile since the beginning of the season.

16. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

That's just typical rotten and dirty workmanship there. But hey, the good news is they saved money huh?

By the looks of those pics...especially that handicap spot...it's clear they have no idea what they're doing.

Shame on you crete! :rolleyes:

17. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

HOAs ussally go with the cheapest guy from my experience, they figure well all do the same work. This is what you see, anyone can do one or two quick passes & move on in a minute or 2, it might take 4 minutes a driv to do it right, times 80 drives thats why you price was more....they are getting what theyre paying for.
    Heres one I bid HOA, wanted it done by 6:30 am, large drives that T off, & walks (Long), my plan was 2 sidewalk guys, a bobcat, & P/U truck with plow (4 staff members total). I heard they werent happy with the guy that got (but not looking for bids) & its on my way home, so I drove through there a couple times. They had a 1/2 ton truck with a blower in back sitting next where a skid had been parked, one guy running the tracked skid & that was it I assume he had to do the walks once the plowing was done. I was in there once @ 7: 30 & once about 9, he was about half done with the plowing both times, walks werent touched. No wonder they were less, Ill bet my bid (to spec) was 3x his bid. Hes doing it to the budget there willing to spend, not wrong, just a different way of looking at it IMO. BUT what happens when we get a extended snow event & he cant keep up ?

18. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I hope they were coming back to clean that up with a skid. Do they seriously leave it like that?

19. WIPensFan

I'll go take some pics on Mon. to see if they did any cleanup. Based on their track record over there they are done. Maybe the people will complain and they will have to do something, but they haven't in previous plowings. Like I mentioned before, all those things I listed could have and should have been done the first time.

20. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member