1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Schuley, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

Last Tues and Wed we had a big storm hit. Almost everywhere around me got 12-18" of snow with blowing snow overnight. I'm only 25, but I dont remember EVER seeing roads, parking lots, sidewalks or whatever else in such piss poor shape! When did the quality go out the door? I went out to eat with my wife last night, and the resturant we went to only had the sidwalk cleaned directly in front of the door, not the ones branching out along the lot. There were 4 lost stalls right at the front door area due to piling of snow there. Perfectly good field area on 1 side of building to push and pile snow, and to my surprise, they didn't, must have been too far to push? (maybe 100") The side resi roads still had 4" of slushy snow on them, most of the parking lots sucked, poor visibility pulling out of the dirves due to snow piled so high.....
    I think I found some new potential clients for next season!! And the shocking part.....the nicest parking lot I have seen so far was the local WAL-MART!! Not a drop of snow in that lot, and they pulled the snow off the islands on the front half of the building and pushed to the back.
    With all the poor quality i'm seeing it makes me wonder.....maybe i'm viewing the result of a bunch of low baller idiots that got caught with their pants down during a 17" wet heavy snow?! Hopefully thats what we need to get them out next year!

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You should see my driveway! :cool:
  3. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Maybe you are looking at these lots too early.......They may come in, open it up and move on. Get everyone opened up and then come back and do a good cleanup......just a thought

About piling in the wrong places, no excuse for that.
  4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Many companies take on too many accounts and when the big one hits this is what happens. They come in, do a crappy quick hitter and they have to move on to the next one. They have to many accounts to spend to much time on doing a quality job on any one place. From what I've seen over the last 10 Yrs. the business's don't really care that much, as long as they made an attempt. This is what snow removal has become:cry:
  5. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

This storm was the biggest storm ever in our area. Unless you are a miracle worker I dont think you can expect as quick or as good of a job as a 4 inch snow. We needed loaders on every site and we never had this much snow before to even consider needing them. As far as taking too many accounts we only schedule our trucks for 5-6 hours each but with a monster storm obviosly it is not a perfect scenario. This thread is really got me PO'd because you sound just like the whiny inconsiderate customer who lives in their own little world and has no regard to others safety and limitations.
  6. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

Haha, well put. You can never please 100% of anyone, somone will always piss and moan.
  7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

No doubt it was a brutal storm, but the quality of work HAS gone down.
  8. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

The storm came tuesday night and ended wednsday afternoon.....today is sunday!:drinkup:
  9. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

How do you think I come across sounding like I dont have regard for others safety and limitations?! I get 100% retention of customers for 5 years running, plus adding 3-4 every year. Having a good name gets you places in life. Do a good job, and people will remember!
    If I offended you because YOU were one of those companies that left your lots looking crappy still 4 days after the storm, then I'm sorry, didn't mean to offend you. As Snow contractors, customers expect you to perform a certian level of service no matter what, if you can't cut it, find a new industry, plain and simple.
  10. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Well if it's that many days after than that is pretty crappy......
    I agree a 4" storm is different than a 12", however there still needs to be an acceptable level of service. When I plowed commercially we had "extra" equipment that we would sub for big storms. Most likely guys that didn't have a full load of work for the year and could dedicate us some time on any given site.
    I agree, I see a lot of unprofessional work done lately....piles of snow at entrances, pushing across the street and leaving windrows, but you get what you pay for.
    The lowballers are in a hurry to get to the next job as fast as possible. Fast = sloppy.
  11. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Maybe these poor services were provided not by "low ballers" but maybe they were "high ballers " just making a little extra profit.

I assume that it was only the commercial plowers that did poor work. And that all your goverment agencies did a bang up job on ALL the streets, even the residential roads. No complaints from any tax payers?
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  12. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

No, as I stated....most side streets STILL have 4 inches or so of snow on them, in fact, the mayor of Madison issued an appology as to the poor service of roads during the storm....now I feel so much better :laughing:

I'm not saying I didn't have any problems, but my guys and I worked twice as hard and twice as long to still do a good job, I even paid my guys more to bust some butt. Sure my profit level went down a bit, but it pays off with satisfied customers that return every year.
  13. Two Seasons

Two Seasons Junior Member

I hear you about Madison Wisconsin---the Berkeley of the Midwest!

We use only blowers, shovels, and melter, and do a better job, every time, than any public employee can or will do!

Some public employees care, but most don't.
  14. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

We were out this morning to salt the ice storm that came through. Went in to get the signature for the paperwork and the manager said "You guys come out for this? The last guy never used to do it.:laughing: Our customers were always sliding around. This is great!" I said, "Thank you, that's why your management company hired us. Have a nice day."
  15. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

Overbooked contractors as usual. We started at 10:30 Tuesday night and had all our lots clear by the time everyone opened in the morning. We serviced most properties 2 and 3 times plowing with the storm. We took our time and tried to go easy on equipment due to the wet nature of the snow. I saw a lot of poor work along with municipalities not starting early enough either. Customers opt for the cheapest bid, then they don't deserve good service. F them and the contractors dragging the market down.
  16. ultimateinc

ultimateinc Senior Member

f 550 you said go in to get a signature? for work ? if thats the case what do you guys do when the business is closed ? i like the idea to avoid confusion with a bill later but alot of times there not open when we plow or salt
  17. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Totally agree, alot of these business are having a hard time keeping in the black during this economy & feel forced to look @ everything that can save them a few pennies. In reality, a place like the OP is talking about will probably end up paying extra to relocate snow after the next storm or 2, saving them nothing.

As for the muni's, I think they're trying everything to keep their budgets in line for the rest of the year as well. With tax freezes in place for the last how many years, they're finally forced to mak esome hard decisions. I'm not defending them by any means, but I'm also not willing to let them raise my taxes to get the roads perfect in winter.
  18. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I will be the first to admit. I/We cut ALOT of corners this week. This storm came so hard and fast that it was super hard to get ahead of it or even plow with it. I am not the only person in my area that did a crap job either. It makes me sick to see some of my lots right now. Look like a total rookie job.

I have spent EVERY day this week out for at least 12Hrs per day, doing follow ups and spot cleanings. Spent 8 hours this morning salting and scrapiong slush off some lots. And I need to go out and finish a wide city walk that some A-Hole plowed in, and push some piles back before 7 am tommorrow.

It all comes down to this. We got hit with a HUGE amount of snow. Heavy, wet, and blowing snow. It wasn't no 2 incher by any means. That much snow takes alot of time to handle no matter who you are.

19. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Very well said....anyone that plowed in this storm and say the had EVERYTHING clean and done a day after the storm is either lieing or has very few accounts......:dizzy:
  20. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

Some of the lots here are bad. I mean it was Friday and Saturday and they were awful. We have had big storms before and I don't remember lots looking this bad. I think we are seeing the quality of contractors that are doing it now.