1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poor paint job.

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by GMSNOW, Feb 5, 2009.

GMSNOW Member

Just throwing this out.

I just bought a new 810 this season. This plows is stored indoors and washed after I get done plowing and this thing is already rusting like crazy. I had a western for 4 years prior and it sat outside during the winter and had little rust.

Is this what most others are experiencing?

All I can say is the paint job is very poor quality. Otherwise I love the plow and its features.

2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Blast it with Fluid Film.............by, by rust
  3. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Blizzard should warranty it.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Most Blizzards rust after the first yr. Everyone I've seen in my area is more rust then white.
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Well known fact that Blizzard's powder coating sucks.

Then again, I've had less than stellar results with some of my Fishers and 1 Western, granted they were older, but still when you have paint coming off in sheets.....

More enviro-nazi crap, powder coating sucks IMO.
  6. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I bought one new SpeedWing this year and wash it each storm and FF everything, but the paint is gone on the back side about 6" up. I told my dealer about this and they said they call Blizzard all of the time about the paint on there plow. Blizzard told them they cant do anything about it. My dealer said they might take there new plows to a paint shop and get them clear coated.
  7. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

The real problem is the white color is the hardest color to do in powder coat. If you ever decide to have is re done do it in another color.
  8. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I had the same problem after one season and I washed it after each storm (maybe 8 total). After the second year it looked terrible.
  9. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

production over looks in my books when it comes to the blizzards. And yes I run all new, dent-less, rust-less trucks. Deal with it. If its rusty does it still plow the same or different?
  10. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Yeah , but I still feel looks are very important for me and customers. $5,000 piece of anything should not rust so quickly period. Why run new, dent-less, rust-less trucks? If your truck has rust or dents does it drive different?
  11. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

After re painting and fighting rust on my( 03 ) 810 I decided to clear my S.W. when it was new. The day it was dropped in my drive I shot it with 3 cans of rustoleum high gloss clear. My plow is on it's third season and still has most of it's paint. The only rust is close to the ground and on the end grain of the metal. I re clear it in the fall and do use F.F. on parts of the plow. There are a few spots on the back of the plow where you can see the clear is comming of but thats from washing it. I might re paint and sticker the plow this summer just to make it look new again. The rattle cans work. I use the same thing on the frame of my truck.

Good luck, shaun
  12. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

Because the trucks are on the road 6 days a week for 8 months out of the year during the day-light hours when people see them the most. No one sees the trucks at night during the winter and storms. I just find it annoying when guys come on here b*tching about snow equipment such as paint, or I don't understand why this stuff breaks. Lets see, you are hanging a 1000lb plow in front of a 10,000lb truck plus putting 8000lbs or more of salt in that same truck. Its going to break and the paint is going to wear off.
  13. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

If you're that concerned about the appearance of your plow you should have A: Did your research on Blizzard and you would've known about their reputation with their sh*t powder coat. B: bought a stainless blade.
  14. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

It comes with the terratory with a blizzard. Another reason for a SS Blizzard!
  15. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

1)My bad, I did not realize all you storms fell at night in ILL. and you never have storms in daylight where someone would see rust.

2)He was not b**ching about equipment - he was asking what others experiences are.

3)The weight on the front and load in rear of MY truck has nothing to do with this thread.

4)Again, my opinion (not a b**ch) just opinion is paying $5-6k for anything paint should last longer than 10 -15 uses. Just my opinion
  16. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

First off I own boss and blizzard plows so I am not trying to stir the pot but everyone should take a lesson from boss on how to powdercoat a plow as I have a 5 yr old boss that looks beter than my 1 yr old blizzard.
  17. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

Ding Ding. I agree with you on that one. O and if you have seen my blizzards I have minimal rust (ranging from 1 yr old to 5 yrs old) so ... maybe its your equipment care if you would like to get personal.
  18. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

Is "Ding Ding" the sound of a correct answer, or the sound of a ringside bell? I opt for the ringside bell. Go ahead and get personal. It makes for better entertainment.
  19. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

yup very common, power coat is probably the worst i have ever seen. My 8611lp that i bought new this year arived with rust in the channel where the wings hydraulics come out of, after the first storm the plow had peeled paint and started rusting. those stupid red line stickers on the wings are the dumbest thing ever, those didnt even last a full storm. The blizzard sticker in the middle stayed fine though...