1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poor old Ford truck, nobody wants it.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by plow/truck, Dec 25, 2011.

1. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

We have a small community and we have a community plow truck I take care of.
    People have been complaining about the small issues we've had (some are truck/some plow)
    and they think a newer truck will fix our problems.

We currently have a 73 f250 with an old western plow.
    After some thinking, I think a new plow would be better and save some money for a crate motor if something should happen.
    What are your thoughts? Is there a better truck we should be looking at? :confused:
    p/t

2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

What is the budget? If they want to spend $40k on a new truck... enjoy plowing with it!

3. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

Thats part of it, they got a good budget, but if we get a newer truck we would just use our old plow - I'd rather just get a new plow.. Thumbs Up

If there was a good truck to get what would it be?

4. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

That may or may not work. Purchasing a new plow may not fit the old truck depnding on what you buy. Buying a newer truck may not work with the old plow. Plow frames and truck frames become dated and are changed in a few years. If you can fabricate your own mounting systems then it may work.

May be more economical and less time consuming to just buy a newer truck and plow.

5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I would think you'd have to fabricate a mount for a truck that old. I would get a used plow and a new used truck.

6. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

They aren't very easy to find here as we don't get a ton of snow.

7. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

I've got a quote for a Western Pro+ 8' for $6k. I'm thinking we can sell our used one.

8. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

The plow is worth more than the truck. Seems like a lot of money to hang on the front of an old truck. The plow won't do you any good if the truck keeps breaking down.

9. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

The plow is what's not working. We sent the pump to be rebuilt and it still don't work correct.
    The problem is the cables and controller all the slop wont make it raise or lower very well.
    Everyone want's to look at the truck as the problem. :confused:
    We've had some issues like the clutch going out, I don't consider that a real issue... Plowing is hard work, and give the key to just anyone who want to drive it - that's the real issue. :eek:

10. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

you are correct. Many drivers on one truck are the problems.

However for 6 k you could buy a whole truck and plow setup thats newer.. If you have a good budget buy both, dont mess around with a new plow/old truck or new truck/old plow

11. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

I would second the opinion of a newer truck and plow. If you can get a good deal on a used setup that is newer and in decent shape, that might aleviate a lot of your issues.

If you decide to go that route, check out www.publicsurplus.com occasionally you can come across a good deal.

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Buy a $6k truck/plow package. If you still want to blow $6k, mail me a check!

13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Your just beating a dead horse with that old of a truck. Buy a mid 90's auto trans truck. Put a used plow on it. Get the truck and drive it to where you can get the plow put on. Put the plow in the bed and drive it back. Might even buy a setup and have it shipped to you. Being in that corner o the USA it's real hard to help you out with our resources. We have in our area's.

14. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

if the truck is in good shape, and the problem is with the plow pump, spend the 5-600 dollars and update the pump to a newer style.
    and you are not limited to a western pump, you can use anything for a pump. the only thing that limits you is the mounting of the plow.
    my partner has 3 trucks with western plows and meyers pumps, because he likes the idea of having one pump on all the trucks. if a pump goes, all 9 trucks we have use the same meyers pump and it can be changed in minutes with one of the spares in the shop.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

16. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

go to searchtempest.com type in your zip code and then type in "plow truck" then click "search" then start shopping!

buy a newer truck (98-2008) and plow, scrap the rest

17. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

FWIW I like solid axles, boss plows and inline six diesels for plowing!

18. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Wait until this spring. No more snow than everyone is plowing their will be allot of used rigs with snow plows at cheep prices.

19. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have never seen a season where so many people mount their plows at even a hint of snow. There is a boat load of new plow truck owners around my area. All the shiny new plows and salt spreaders with nothing to do! Driving around in a house payment truck. Trucks will be For Sale this spring!

20. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Not thinking ahead are they................No Show Snow is gonna be the trend especially down your way. Anyone ever think of the weather trends and records being broken weather and temperature wise before investing in new equipment.