1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poor management by management company!!

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by born2farm, Nov 2, 2011.

1. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I am not talking about a national management company either. Ok. So I have been eyeing this set of apartment buildings all summer to put a bid in. I started contacting the management company in charge of them Sept. 1st. I finally got a bid packet three days before the bid was due. So I drop what I was doing and get the bid all figured out so I could submit them a fair estimate and provide the level of service they were looking for. Right in the contract it states. Plowing contractor will be expected to provide service from October 30th through April 15th. It is now November 2nd and they have not decided on a contractor. I called and emailed the company and they said that it has been sent to the reviewing board and a decision has not yet been made.

I know people sign late, but I just do not see how, if I was to show up 30mins late to the time when they want the lots cleared I would lose the contract, yet they can set a date for the contract to start and not even select a contractor by then. I know it has only been two days, BUT IF YOUR GOING TO EXPECT THE CONTRACTOR TO FOLLOW THE CONTRACT SPECS THEN YOU SHOULD TOO. I think the management company is tired of me calling them and asking, but I politely explained to the lady on the phone that, I am only calling because I need to know my work load to properly assign truck routes in order to service them to the level required.

This isnt a small job either (at least not to me). It is pretty much the deciding factor in adding another truck and/or skid loader plus a walk crew this winter, as it will add 8hrs plowing and 10hrs of walks to my routes.

Sometimes I just dont understand people.
  2. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

It's not uncommon at all. Sometimes companies only take bids to use against their existing contractor or because they are required to do so. Also, many companies will hold out on awarding a contract until there becomes a threat of snow. This is sometimes used as leverage to cut expenses by having someone pro rate the contract to exclude the month(s) that no service was required. In other words, if they can skate w/o paying for November & part of December, they will. If they are really sketchy, they might even try to cancel before the season ends, if it looks to be mild. In those cases, they will find an excuse such as blaming performance.

And sometimes they just move slow because they haven't gotten enough bids returned, or the decision maker (corporate) wasn't yet available. The joys of doing business...
  3. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Good Rant, but your in a pretty typical situation.
  4. ProLawn Outdoor

ProLawn Outdoor Senior Member

Yes very typical, thats what pushes me away from pursuing larger commercial contracts. We deal with a condo complex during the summer that is the same way. They requested a proposal on a large mulch job that they wanted done ASAP. My partner submitted a bid, after being reviewed by their "board", they finally gave us the go ahead almost a year later. It was the most frustrating thing ever. Trying to schedule this huge job into our swamped spring schedule, yet not really knowing when the deposit for materials was gonna be there. The problem in some cases, is that your proposal has to be agreed on by so many different people. One person may say, lets hire a new snow contractor, where is another person may be perfectly happy with the current. We really wanted the mowing, plowing, all the maintenance on the facility, but we decided it just wasn't worth it. Too many people who think that they are in charge, and really have no power.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  5. ProLawn Outdoor

ProLawn Outdoor Senior Member

And in the meantime, the larger ones usually require equipment (just like you said) that you need to buy/lease and you are trying to arrange that, yet it is hard when you have not gotten the go ahead. I'd pass on it. You'll get all set-up, get the equipment, do it for a year, then someone else on "the board" will complain next year and it will be open for bid again.
  6. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Ya I figured this was pretty normal. It just ticks me off and this was the only place to come rant.
  7. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

There are alot of crappy management companies out there. We had an apartment complex for part of last season, they dropped us for poor service ? They had to call us in, didn't call how is that my fault, it gets better. We service a group home directly behind them, like stones throw close. We had had like 3 times (all primary visits) as many trips to the group home as this apartment complex, and were only called twice to do a cleanup run, out of like 9 primary trips, etc. Then they wonder why tenents are pissed. I should of been more pissed than any one, I ran the numbers after the fact. They paid us like $ 2200 or so, had we plowed them properly as the group home was, including a primary & cleanup visit their bill should of been about $ 11,000. I still had that time reserved in my schedule for them. Both were same trigger as well.
  8. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

it is called jumping through hoops... it sucks but they don't care... they have no clue about the getting ready part of what we do...that is why i really did not go after any new customers ... i weeded out all the pita and are very happy with what i have...

good luck to all this year.... happy plowing