1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

poor idle / stalling

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mainer, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Mainer

Mainer Junior Member
    from Maine

HI
    Wanted some advice on my 87 chevy 305 TBI
    it will idle iratic then idle so low till it stalls. also down the road acts like its starving for fuel. did a fuel filter. it was plugged big time. was told it could be the TPS (throttel postion senser) changed it. little better but still there. it comes and goes. going foolish trying to get this right.
    any help would be great...
    Thanks

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

This may not be it but the first thing you want to check is the gasket between the TBI unit and the manifold. They do go bad with age.

3. mgilman

mgilman Junior Member
    from maine

sounds an awful lot like a vacuum leak

4. Mainer

Mainer Junior Member
    from Maine

Hi I thought it might be a vacum leak. but it happens off n on its not consitant. when it act up service engin soon light comes on. when it goes out. back to norm?? i dont know...lol

5. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Could have an EGR valve sticking open occasionally?

6. Tarkus

I had a bad manifold gasket a few years ago and it was not consistant either

7. ace911emt

ace911emt Member

if you have a check engine light scan it first. the info you need is in your truck, the money you spend guessing will soon exceed the scan cost (or free if you have a friend) sounds like an egr sticking but test test test.
    you don't call your friend in Florida and ask if he thinks it will snow. you watch the weather for your area right?

8. Tarkus

My leaky TBI to manifold gasket never coded anything though for what it is worth. They do not usually last the life of truck.

9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Like it was posted, look for vacuum leaks/stuck egr valve/or poss. O2 sensor also if the filter was that bad you should replace the in tank fuel pump could leave you stranded and you don't want that during a storm.

10. chevyshovelin

chevyshovelin Junior Member

:waving: I had this problem with a 1985 chev. blazer 305 5.0,after several different shop visits,i ended up getting a carb from a junkyard,it worked. :nod: