1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poor heat in the cab of my 99 dodge.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by rickbays, Jan 12, 2009.

1. rickbays

rickbays Member

Over the weekend I got to put my new (to me anyway) boss 8.2 vee on my 99 dodge cummins to the test. We got around 8 inchs and I got to work here 17 hours in parking lots. I LOVE it. My 1st diesel pusher. This truck is work horse.

During the storm I was talking to a buddy. My heat in the cab isnt that great. Takes along time to warm up. I cant run the fan on high as the air coming out is cold. Ive got to leave in on 2 or 3 to get heat. He told me there is a motor that moves the heat door. Is there any truth to that. Could that be the problem?

I replaced thermostat getting ready for winter. I was flushed the heater core and changed the the anitfreeze.

Thanks for the input.
  2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

might be a cab air filter that needs to be replaced.
  3. lawnman20

lawnman20 Junior Member

blend air door motor goes bad not to hard to change on bottom of air box under dash
  4. rickbays

rickbays Member

I just checked that yesterday. It works fine. The heater core is gunked up as i was told by a local shop. Not a cheap fix. 300 labor and 100 for the part.
  5. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Diesels run cold. Its not your heater core. You need to get one of those Radiator covers. That artic chill just got to us that you have. My truck wouldnt get up over 160 Degrees till I got it up on the highway then I got it to 190 and some nice heat was pouring out. So when you are plowing tehy will cool off becuase you are not keeping truck at a constant 2k rpm. So the cheapest and easiest fix. Get a piece of cardboard paint it black and block about 70% of you radaitor. Truck will warm up faster and your heat will be warmer, Also set your heater control to a/c setting and put on Hot then recirculate air in cabin. This helps alot.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

got to love another cummis
  7. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Well this looks like a good place for this.... Same question but in a gas Dakota? My girlfriends truck only occasionally warms up. She's bustin my balls about it so any help would be great.

MAR4CARS Senior Member

If the heater core is plugged and not leaking before replacing it remove both heater hoses and use a garden hose to reverse flush the core you can also try compressed air just be careful you don't over pressurize or you will blow the heater core apart.
  9. firelwn82

What do you mean reverse flush? Stick the hose on the outlet and push the crap out of the inlet?
  10. Dartsport

Dartsport Junior Member

YES. Go back and forth with the hose, untill you have clear water running out, in both directions.
  11. firelwn82

K I'll give that a try. Any other opinions on our cases?
  12. rickbays

rickbays Member

I did that but went one step futher. I got a bottle of CLR. I put it in one hose untill it poured out the other. I let it sit for and hour and flushed it out. That helped some. It wont run you out the truck but its atleast warm. Need to make some money plowing to get a new one. Its 6 hours labor to change it.
  13. BigDave12768

Its your first Diesel!!! They run COLD!!!! Cover up the radiator. All the people giving you answers dont have an Old CTD in there sig. I dont either but I owned one. Also you are leaving out the fact that its like zero degrees where are now. Want to see how cold they run. Get the truck up to 200 degrees or whatever you normal operating tempature. Pull over and pop the hood. Watch how fast your heat goes away and truck drops 40 degrees of operating tematures. Put cardboard inbetween the radiator and the intercooler and you will see a difference in your heat

14. rickbays

rickbays Member

Its been cold all winter. They guy at the shot felt the heater box under the dash and then said its the heater core.

When Im plowing a huge lot (about a thousand yard runs) that we have the truck gets up about 200 degree. I will put the card board in and try it and just take it out at the big lots.

I was out doing drive ways todays and noticed that when I stopped to collect the truck would cool way down real qucik. Thanks for the input
  15. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Not sure but did water pump work good?

Is fan clutch bad? keep fan spin all times?

and diesel need have cover on grill to keep warm up.
  16. firelwn82

Yeah the fans working, the temp gauge is staying normal and all that good stuff. I'm gonna try and flush the heater core and change the coolant while I'm at it. Start there I guess.
  17. BigDave12768

You can do large lots and leave it in. That truck wont over heat. The clutch fan will kick in and cool it down