1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poor Dealer Installation of 860 SW

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Snaaar, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

I know the rules of this forum prohibit bashing, so I will carefully present this as a hypothetical situation, just to be safe.

Hypothetically, a dealer in Delaware installed a new Speedwing 860 on my 99 Diesel Dodge late in fall 2008. Afterwards, the truck went to get serviced by my regular shop. Once upon the lift, it was seen that the nuts and bolts to hold the iron of the plow frame to the truck frame were only hand tight. Also, at several locations, bolts were too long and were banging or rubbing against the truck frame. Also, an unprotected wire was rubbing against bare metal and miraculously managed to short. The shop corrected the problems, and then, after the dealer told me he would pay for any such corrections, the invoice was sent to the dealer. Months later, they have not paid.

During a snowstorm, the same plow suddenly stopped working, and four men and two trucks were down for 90 minutes as a result. The plow inexplicably started working again, but soon stopped. Naturally this happened as another truck crapped out. Later, after speaking with the dealer, who was very apologetic and helpful, I went to the solenoid on the inside of the wheelwell, and found that the two nuts that tighten down the ends of the two small wires were loose. Also, the lag crews that actually hold the solenoid to the sheet metal were loose and falling out. After those things were tightened, the plow seems to work properly.

Theoretically, this last event happened six days ago. Since then, I have called the dealer ten times. There is no answer and no voicemail. I have sent an email. Yesterday I sent an email directly to Blizzard. No response from anyone.

How long would I wait before I file a legal action against this Blizzard dealer if this story was true? How long should I wait before I take action against Blizzard itself?

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Legal action???? Dealer is responsible, not Blizzard. Call another dealer, get the issues fixed.

3. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I would contact another dealer and have them fix the problem. Also you could call Blizzard and say they need to have a talk to the dealer about poor service, if they would do that. I bought a plow truck this year that had a Western on it and I was taking it off to put on a SW and every bolt on the mount was hand tight, cant beleive it never fell off.

4. montyluke

montyluke Junior Member

go to another dealer .my dealer has been willing to help on all my issues.and i've had a few for a new plow.

5. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

You should have drove back to the plow installer and dealt with it when you found the 1st issues and had them go over the whole thing again and watched them do it.

6. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

I would ttake it to another dealer to get checked out sooooooooo you don't have any more problems If you were closer to southwest pa I would look at it for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You shouldn't have those kind of problems at all I think that it is a incompetant dealer to have that kind of issues with the install!!!!!!! but seen
    it before!!!!:realmad:

7. lilweeds

Better yet, make an appointment and have it made into an Erie Special!

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The manufacturers tell you to check all fasteners to proper torque after 5/10 hours of plowing. As part of our year service we throw a wrench on every fastener to test for tightness. We tighten/replace quite a few.

My own mount (SW Mega not Blizzard) was installed this fall and when I checked it after its first use I tightened many fasteners, not a lot but if left alone they will get looser and start wearing at the truck frame itself. I never should have to tighten as many as I did this time. the first push normally "sets" the mount" if it is properly installed after the first tightening you are only dealing with hardware stretch.

9. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

What is the phone number to reach Blizzard?

10. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

What is an Erie Special?

11. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Back in the day, you could just call up Brian... or Jonathon...

I wouldn't bother calling now.

12. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I think they hide it. When i called them last month I had to use the address from thier contact us page and do a reverse number look up on it. Sorry I dont have it handy anymore.

13. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

www.jerres.com ;);)

14. lilweeds

It's a speedwing with all the moids to make it better. Box out the wings so the cable ends don't break and carbides on the wing edges, as well as a few other things to get more out of your blade. Also after the Special Package you end up with a friend and the most helpfull plow installer/repairer that I know!

15. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

want to see pics of sw mods!!!!!!!!:nod:

16. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

Does anyone know how to reach a human representative from Blizzard on the phone? My email has gone unanswered, and I want to rip someone's head off (figuratively speaking, of course).

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Phone: 423-928-3962.

That is the number to Douglass Dynamics in Johnson City Tenn. They own DDizzard. Try it an see if they can help or at least direct you to the proper place.

18. Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday Member

Does not matter were or what plow you bought,it needs to be checked after 10 15 hours of service from top too bottom.My new fishers needed some attention after 2 storms and my installer is a pretty good egg.
    You allready own it so i think i would make time after the season and go see Jerre and the boysz in Erie. He has some of the best stuff out there.He happens to be good with Blizzards but is a good fab guy. I personal think if it was not for him,eh not many Blizzard plows would still be selling.
    Give him a call. Its a long ride but if you own a white wide out its all most a must.
    Even the guys that own them dont see all the tricks and he comes up with more everday!
    www.jerres.com

19. lilweeds

Many of the mods are the same as the 810, no need ti flip the manifold. The repair on the wings to keep the cables from breaking are supposed to be factory on the newer ones, and he uses different carbides on the edges, otherwise very much the same!