1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poor connection?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bobcat s-160, Dec 24, 2011.

1. bobcat s-160

bobcat s-160 Senior Member
    from MI

Its my first year owning a Boss plow, its 2-3 years old. RT3 smart hitch. I pull up to the plow, connect the red and black wires and the 13 pin connector, and push the switch up to raise the smart hitch and I get a click click noise, I keep messing with the red/black wire and then it will work. I have to zip tie the two ends together or it never works. I made sure everything is clean. Anyone else having problems with those wires?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes replace the power cables or better yet upgrade them to 2 gauge and Anderson connectors. Poor connections become a thing of the past. If you search 'Anderson' here you'll find we've covered it may times before so there's some additional good reading.

3. bobcat s-160

from MI

Forgot to say, sometimes when I hook up to the plow I see sparks at the mount on the truck. I'm guessing some where there is a bad ground?

4. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Try spreading the main post on the red and black power leads to make a tighter connection, common problem I have found.

AL

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Any time you have spark at the mount you have a poor connection on the ground cable between the battery and the plow and needs fixed asap. It's tough on the gear pump, pump motor as well as the truck also.

6. bobcat s-160

from MI

Ground on the motor looks good. I spread the main post on the red/black wires so I'm hoping thats where my bad ground was.

7. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Sparking

ussmileyflag Don't be afraid to put the dielectric grease to them ! Clean terminals at the battery are a must also .

8. bobcat s-160

from MI

Update*
    I spread the main post on the red/black wires, plow works perfect.

9. bobcat s-160

from MI

When I hooked it up today, i'm still getting sparks. Everything is clean!

10. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

When you say everything is clean , does that include the battery terminals ? That's where I found my problem . If you battery has side terminals , take them off and scrub every surface with a stiff wire brush . Then put them back together with dielectric grease on every mating surface . Worked for me .

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And then when you've done that cut the original plugs off the cables and install a set of Anderson connectors. They're the permanent solution.

12. bobcat s-160

from MI

Just did this, seemed to take care of the problem.

13. bobcat s-160

from MI

Yeah thats what I'll end up doing.

14. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Now , BRING ON THE WHITE STUFF !!!

15. bobcat s-160

from MI

You're telling me! Hardly pushed anything yet, and the next chance is the 11th. Don't think I can wait that long:realmad: