1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poor Backdraging????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by zippy1, Jan 22, 2007.

1. zippy1

zippy1 Junior Member

I have a Fisher 8'HD and after I backdrag on driveways it looks like there is a decent amount of hardpacked snow left behind. I removed all but one of the spacers on the plow feet so the blade would have full contact and weight applied to the driveways. This does not seem to help. I drop the blade and plow forward to try and break it up a bit so I can get the drive cleaner but no luck. What do you guys recommend? I know some guys use backdrag blades but there isn't one for my fisher around here. Fisher will not warranty the plow if I have one on there. This is my first year with snow removal and I am a little frustrated. I don't want my accounts to think I am doing a poor job. In all I am spending twice as long as I should trying to get it scraped down the best I can. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Even if it is to tell me this is normal. Thanks!
  2. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

It sounds like the same thing mine does. I don't really worry about it though. I just make sure the walks are clean & then throw a little deicer on the rest & off I go.
  3. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

Buy a Western! Sorry couldn't resist...:realmad: LOL
  4. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Alright funny guy. What makes yours backdrag better? :gunsfiring:
  5. Plow Dude

Plow Dude Senior Member

Why don't you just remove the plow feet altogether? Why do you need them?
  6. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I don't know about his, but mine are & it made no difference.
  7. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

The problem is - no down pressure....... Snoway.....backdrags like a champ.....

8. KCB

KCB Senior Member

I agree with plow dude. Unless you have gravel drives, get rid of the shoes.Even with them raised all the way, they tend to build up a cushion of snow behind them causing the plow to lift slightly. But on the other hand the angle of the cutting edge on the Fisher is not favorable when backdragging.
  9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you've removed spacers enough to get pressure like you said, then the shoes should not be doing anything, anyway. Get rid of them, they're just getting in the way. I would guess that they're actually interfering with the pressure of the blade to the ground, whether it seems like it or not. Their purpose is to keep the plow off the ground, contrary to what you want.
  10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Some welding shops make backdrag edjes for plows. Put one on!
  11. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

A lot of back dragging depends on the snow you are moving.Also they do have edges made to back drag..

What i do if I find it not cleaning well is plow forard lift blade pull ahead drop it and then back drag it :)
  12. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Love my snoway.

13. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

If you were closer, ide give you the backdrag edge that the guy gave me when i bought the plow. It was custom made from an old cutting edge and secures at the point where the trip edge pins to the top part of the blade. I can get pics if you'd like so you could make your own. I am satisfied with the backdragging mine does and didn't want to add anymore weight to my plow, so, i'm not going to use it. Let me know if you'd like some pics, seems VERY easy to make.
  14. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

Sorry bout that.. couldn't resist..LOL.. Western is just easyer to put a back drag edge on. Plus they B.D pretty good with out it. I used to have a couple Dimond plows years back, same as the fisher , its a trip edge and they suck for back draging.