1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Polyurethane

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by redman6565, Jan 14, 2009.

1. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm debating on switching a couple of my rubber pushers over to polyurethane blades. What are the pros and cons?

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

not sure on a pusher for certain, but they only down side is that the poly wouldn't clear slush and water as well as the rubber. Other than that I think the poly wins hands down everywhere else. They will probably cost more too.

3. redman6565

But does it trip on catch basin grates or sanitary/storm covers in parking lots?

4. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Poly doesn't hold up very long. Tried on some of our other equipment and the edges burned down too fast. The edge won't trip either, but it might break or tear.

5. redman6565

would you go steel over poly then? i have a ton of rubber pushers but i think i want one or two poly or steel blade pushers for hard pack snow and general clean up.

6. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Steel with a trip edge. By the time you convert, I think you could by new. The rubber I currently use works fine, as well wouldn't mind switching to a steel edge. I'm surprised JD dave didn't have some advice? He seems to rave about steel edges, and I think he added some pushers this year. Check out his video that's posted.

7. redman6565

i would like to have a diverse fleet that could perform in different climate conditions. i mean it's all great when you're out early and getting the job done but we both know the snow is unpredictable and sometimes you're out later and the snow is getting packed down with car traffic and i'd like to be able to counter that effectively.

8. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I've used a trip edge protech, really an nice tool to have, seemed like it needed to be adjusted often to keep the independent sections clearing the same but not a big deal, couple minutes each section. As I understand it converting is expensive, and unless really done right not very sound. I'd but one made to be a trip edge if I had a choice, and in the future will only buy the steel trip edge units. If for some reason you like rubber I think they make a flip over unit so you can have both.

9. forestfireguy

If you want diverse and always onsite, maybe a flip over unit from protech ? I've used rubber edges and steel edges I like steel better, they trip in sections, very nice, just seemed like it needed adjustment often to keep each section clearing the same. The only thing I can see rubber being better at is chasing slush around as you have the "squeegie" effect with rubber. one thing though about steel, they beat the pants off of rubber for scraping but by no means is it like a loader bucket......

10. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

here is one we made last month out of a snow plow. i did add 1 1/2" rubber cutting edge to the bottom of the sides after i took the pix.

100_0471.JPG

100_0470_0001.JPG

11. forestfireguy

Does the edge trip?? If not it looks like it'll take you teetheh out if you hit a storm drain or a manhole.......

12. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

yes, it's a tripper......i like me teeth the way they are...

13. redman6565

looks good jay.

14. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Following up on what I first said. I don't know anything about the big world of pushers and heavy machinery. Never used rubber but I have used poly and steel. Poly does wear faster than steel for me, but I prefer it. Quieter, will bump over some stuff that steel will cause the plow to trip, and will not dig into soft ground as steel tends to. Probably doesn't scrape quite as well as steel, but pretty close. Not sure what kind of trip mechanism your pushers have, but if they have a trip on them I would at least try the poly on one of them and see how they do. If it doesn't have a trip then I might be wary of breaking the edge. I have never broke a poly edge, but I have gouged the face of them. But, my plow trips. Side note, does anyone run a sectional pusher? They look pretty nice.

15. redman6565

no none of my pushers have a trip edge, i would have to make a trip edge system or buy one, but i just want to know if people are satisfied with the poly edge. I understand slush, but can you attack packed snow and make a difference with a poly edge?

16. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

protech makes a 'switchblade model' that has both steel and rubber cutting edges

17. redman6565

rather expensive though. the problem with that is that i would need to find another lot to move one of my old pushers too so that i had a need to buy a new pusher, if i can do that then a switchblade works for that price. if not, then i wanted to switch out a rubber blade on one of my existing pushers...