1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Polyurethane plow edges

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by frostypaws, Nov 2, 2005.

1. frostypaws

frostypaws Junior Member

Does anyone have any experience using polyurethane plow edges? Our dept. head has informed us, they would like us to switch over to poly on all the vehicles we use to plow our walk ways. They feel the steel blades are doing too much damage on the concrete. We do ALOT of plowing at our community college. It's high on a hill, and windy most of the time. I'd appreciate any input before they make the move. Thanks.
  2. Gregg Blair

Gregg Blair member

My company is an edge manufacturer, and don't plow with them, so all I can speak about is what I've been told or what I've seen. If you do a search on this site for "urethane" you'll find some good information. Our blades are being used at Penn State, Cleveland State, Holy Cross, many hospitals and other organizations or businesses trying to protect their property.
  3. John H

John H Junior Member
    from Maine

My company also makes Polyurethane edges and I have used them. They do an great job protecting surfaces and imbedded lighting at airports as well. There is a lot of info here on this site.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

5. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

frostypaws I think you and your sidewalk crews will be very pleased with the preformance of the polyurethane edges.
    Certainly you will see that the damage to the walk's surface will be decreased as you will not have the steel edge to catch the expanion joints or separations etc on the walk areas.
    You may even see increased production from your crews as there is less operator fatigue while plowing.
    Plus the reduced equipment damage too, as the edge becomes a "shock" absorber or "insulator" from the walk and road surfaces.
    I have been running poly edges on my plows for years and wouldn't go back to steel.
    If you need any addition information about the edges or usage please let me know, I can then put you or your department head in touch with others that are using polyurethane edges.
    :rolleyes: John....