1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Polyurethane edge overhang question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by coolgreen, Oct 31, 2003.

1. coolgreen

coolgreen Member

When installing a U-edge, I notice some people let the edge overhang the sides of the plow a few inches.

I think this is to keep the metal blade away from curbs. Is there any other reason? How many many inches would be a good idea?

Also, what type of blade is good for cutting polyurethane? What type of drill bit should I use for drilling the holes?

I think I've finally found a U-edge in the Toronto area that isn't a rediculous price. Importing one from the U.S. was going to cost about $600 after factoring in the dollar exchange and shipping.

I'm going to check it out early next week. I've already had one let-down when I E-mailed a local shop to get a quote, only to go there in person to find they had quoted me on a rubber edge.

Most shops in this neck of the woods have never heard of a polyurethane cutting edge.

I've told them all to "get with it" and check out this site. I can't believe these guys sell plows without keeping up on new developments in this business.
  2. sschario

sschario Member

Dino told me not to let more than about 1.5" hang over the ends because they have had problems tearing.

I am mounting my edge on a 7.5 W as we speak. The plow is painted and I will cut and drill the edge this weekend. I am planning on using a fine tooth blade on a circular saw and a spade bit. I do have a little extra to practice on.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I overhang mine about 1 1/2 inches,one of mine is only an inch over,they work great.
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Combination carbide tipped circular saw blade. Padle type/ butterfly bits work great to drill the material. Do not overhang the material more than the edge is thick in any direction, whether it is the sides or bottom. Feel free to give me a call with any other questions regarding u edges. 860.608.1842
    I have free weekends on the cell.
  5. Mac

Mac Member

Where did u find your U-edge?
  6. coolgreen

coolgreen Member

I found it at a place in Oakville. I've sent one of my workers there this morning to pick it up. If you want more information, private message me and I'll give you all the details.
  7. coolgreen

coolgreen Member

Thanks Dino, I appreciate the help.
  8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

you are welcome

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

I have mine overhanging 6 inches on pro wings...this will be the forth season