1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Polyurethane Cutting Edges

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sfoglio, May 14, 2015.

1. sfoglio

sfoglio Junior Member

What is the general interest of polyurethane cutting edges? I am not referring to UHMW

2. WesternSnowPlow

WesternSnowPlow Junior Member
    from Toronto

They're great for plowing sensitive area, generally on interlock pavement but also used on asphalt. The poly is much easier on the plowing surface than a steel cutting edge, does much less damage but you can't use a poly edge like you would a steel - well you could but it wouldn't last

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

great for slush but cant scrape ice.

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Terrible on hardpack. They dont work well with lake effect snow either as it is generally more of a wetter/heavier type snow

5. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

I agree with what the others have said. My SD 7.5' came with one. I used it the last two seasons. Seems to wear really well. It'll push wet snow ok as long as no one has driven over it before you plow it. It sucks big time back blading wet snow.

If giving the choice, I'd pass on it and get a metal one.

Just my $.02, NYH1.

6. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

No rust stains on concrete, glides over stone and grass.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

They're great for wings on Blizzards and Eblings. They suck for the main edge.

8. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

I hate to disagree with the Smartest man on Plowsite........But.....They are Ok on the wings on XLS.....Get aboot a season out of mine....Please dont rise up on me and call me a Moron......Just my opinion.......:drinkup:......:popcorn:

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Poly edges (except for on the wings of blizzards and eblings when they always work great) really only work well if you pre-apply ice melt. If there is a bond between the blacktop and snow poly will do a poor job and greatly increase your ice melt material requirements.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I would never call you a moron. ;)