1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Polymer blades and Pro wings???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joe Lombardo, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

Does anyone out there use polymer blades on their plows? How do you like them? Do they last as long as the carbon steel type? One more question: Are those pro wings worth the effort that it take to mount them on the plow.
    Do they really cut your plowing time. I know that was two questions..
    Any feed back would be appreciated. Hate to spend the money without knowing what people in the business think.. Thanks
  2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I can't answer question 1, but for your answer to question 2. Yes, the pro wings are definitely worth every dime you pay for them. They will save you tons of time. Once you have have them you won't know how you plowed without them. If time is money you will increase your productivity by at least 1/3. payup
  3. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

Maybe I should have asked which is better a Ford or a Chevy, I would have got a better response
  4. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Polymer blades? do you mean moldboard or ???. I have both poly and steel moldboarded plows. The poly seems to roll snow a little better. The poly weighs more than the steel, due to extra framing. Other than that I don't notice much of a difference. They both move snow.
  5. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

To answer your 3rd question "FORD" trucks.

Have both steel and poly, and use the steel for backup. As for the wings yes they are worth it if you plow by the job but not if you plow by the hour.
  6. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

Thanks for the replies. I should have been a little clearer, what I meant by Polymer blade is the cutting edge of the plow.
  7. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

do you mean urethane cutting edges?? or U edge, there is a whole bunch of info already if you search a little.
  8. JMR

JMR Senior Member

You have better equipment. Charge more per hour to make up the difference.
  9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a set of sides on a 9' Arctic plow. They are fantastic. They can be put on and off in less that a minute per side. They will take more snow to the end of the parking lot with each pass. This means that the wind row will not be as big and you can make a bigger pass each time. sometimes we will have the lot cleared when the sidewalk crew shows up and they push the snow just off the sidewalk and onto the entrance way. The sides will allow you to make a few passes to get rid of all the snow instead of having to puss it clear across the lot. They will add a lot of weight to the plow though.