1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Polyethylene Wing Scoop Edges (?)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Second Nature, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Second Nature

Second Nature Member
    from Ohio

In our fleet, we have two trucks equipped with Power Scoops on the plows. The company is no longer in business. These scoops use a flexible replacement lower edge made of industrial belting...which wears much too fast. I need a better product to fab these edges from, and that leads me to...

Polyethylene or HDPE. I can find sheets of HDPE online for a reasonable price. My question is about durability and flexibility. These lower edges do not support any weight, but they are subjected to a lot of side-to-side flex. They need to be stiff but flexible enough to resist impact damage. The HDPE should not wear extremely fast, as these scoops do occasionally have to ride up over speed bumps, curbs and surface irregularities.

The questions: How wear-resistant is HDPE as an edge? How flexible to impacts is HDPE as an edge? Will it break or chunk-out when cold? Any pointers on its use?

I should add that I have also found polyurethane in sheet form, and the same questions (above) apply. Thanks!
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

I am just in to process of ordering some for my needs. I have done my research and think I am going to go with a UHMW, might be worth looking into. Best of luck!
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic