1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Polycaster spread width

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Khowie644, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

Anyone found a way to get the spread width on their Polycaster under 12 ft.?
    I've tried every different combination of settings and can't get it to spread less then 12ft. or so.

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Haven't used my new one yet,but I would think you would just slow down the spinner speed.That's what I do with my electric utg salter.

3. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

I already run it on the lowest setting but it's still too fast

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  4. leigh

from CT

Other than the spread issue,how do you like it? whats your standard or favorite go to settings?

5. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

Other than that and it spreads a little heavy to the right side I love it.
    I can't say I have a favorite setting as I'm constantly adjusting them

6. leigh

from CT

Thanks,my utg sander spreads heavy to the left! Maybe have both trucks running together! Seems like the old gas engine driven procaster has/had one of the nicest spread patterns.

7. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

Yea gas engine spreaders do seem to have more adjustments for the spread pattern. I just got tired of having to start them.

8. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

I think you have a problem. If this is a new unit I would get your dealer or Fisher tech support involved. My 5 year old Ice Chaser (Blizzard version of the Polycaster) will sprinkle salt just wider than the spinner at its lowest setting.

9. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

It's about a year old now, has done it since I bought it.
    The manual says it will spread 5-40ft wide so somethings not set up right

10. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

That's why I say get with Fisher on it. Confirm correct wiring, test with another controller, test with another module.

11. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

yeah i'll have to take it up after this season, I can't afford to lose it for a week to the dealer right now.

12. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

What's your gate set at out back?

I've had issues in the past with my controller, there was a dead spot in the rheostat where it didn't seem like it was toning it down, then you hit a certain spot and it goes down to nothing. Warranty is obviously the best route here, but I have a new controller on the shelf that I can sell you if you need it. Where in Maine are you?

13. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

I have it on the second or third setting most of the time then I have one big lot I run it a couple notches more so I can go fast at wide open.
    Yeah that's my thinking is its not going down enough on the controller side of it. I'm going to try and get the warranty work out of it before I start throwing money at it right now, maybe I can try a friends controller see if it fixes it.

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

Not sure where you're at, but if you're near Messer they're pretty good about taking a controller out to the parking lot to see if it corrects the issue, if it does they'll exchange it with just proof of purchase....might even do it off your say so if you can try your friends controller.

15. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

I'm on the downeast coast, my dealer isn't so friendly.
    Asked if I could borrow a controller real quick, no such luck. I was able to get an appointment tomorrow by shear luck though so hopefully it'll get fixed tomorrow.
    The rheostat that tells it how much current to send is in the controller right?
    Not a module issue?

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

Exactly, it's in the controller, left hand side.

17. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

Awesome thanks
    Hopefully get this squared away in a hurry.

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

No doubt, nothing worse than new equipment not working properly, especially considering the coin we lay out for them these days. Good luck with it.