1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Polycaster Review

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by vt properties, Nov 28, 2010.

1. vt properties

vt properties Senior Member
    from vermont

As I have posted earlier I purchased a new 1.5 polycaster. I have put 3 yards through it so far. Her is the positive : Spreads wet sand , salt and mix very easily. The seperate conveyor and spinner and shute adjustments are really usefull. If you turn the conveyor up it spreads a lot, you dont get the splash effect on the ground. You can easily tell how much material you throw. The hopper covers do a great job of keeping material out of box. So far i'm inpressed with the purchase.

cons: There was a lot of loose bolts on the unit. I mean the whole spinner assembly was hand tight, I checked over the unit and had to tighten many bolts. It is easily overlooked, I mean you would assume it's good since its new. I noticed one loos bolt and then found another I was not happy, but glad I found out before i used it. The beeping sounds of empty hopper and other malfunctions worked on the first use. It beeped to tell me the hopper was empty on my first use Now it doesnt. Very strange. Anyone have any idea as to why, help would be great. Also it bridged 2x with wet sand, but when it was dry it ran till empty. I dont have the inverted v kit, and have been puttin a yard of material in at a time, and it could hold another half.

Anyone with any idea why the diagnostic indicator is not working or have any idea of what I should look at I would appreciate it.

2. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

I picked up a 1.8 recently too. I noticed all the same loose bolts, but with prior warning I expected it. What I was not fond of was the spinner pulley was severely misaligned. I also noticed during a dry test that the spinner assembly shakes a whole lot. I hope this gets reduced with material passing through. Otherwise I would have liked to see the plate and brake light be harnessed into the cab for connection there.