1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Polycaster Removal

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JamoPropertyNYC, Dec 26, 2015.

1. JamoPropertyNYC

JamoPropertyNYC Junior Member
    from 11357

Hey Guys,
    May sound stupid but I have a 8' Polycaster and was wondering if anyone removed these from their trucks themselves? Whats the weight on one of these units? thanks in advance

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Weight is 660lbs.I just installed my new 1.5 (591 lbs) with an overhead hoist.I had a hard time lifting the spinner section by myself! Tried to take it out by myself and wasn't possible.Might be possible if you want to be ugly about it.Minimum 2 man job imho

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

It's a little harder getting it in that it is getting it out. Do yourself a favor, get a good quality sheet of plywood, thick, smooth surface. Cut it to the length of the bed with 2-3" of over hang.

To install, back up to it, 20" or so away, with the plywood in the bed, tilt the sander into the bed, look at the rails of the sander, there's notches, make sure these are above where the sander meets the bed, if not, jump in the bed, stand the sander up, back the truck up closer and start over, the notches will hang up on the edge of the bed and fight you otherwise. Take two ratchet straps and secure them to the two top handles of the sander down to the two front tie down hooks in the bed. Ratchet it in as far as you can, jump out of the bed and lift the sander in with the ratchets still in place. You may have to re tighten if you can't lift in, you'll get a feel for it the more you do it.

It should slide in easily on the plywood once you lift it, if not, get it as far as you can, then push the sander from side to side while pushing it up and forward at the same time...walking it in.

The last hinge knuckle on each side is a good leverage point.

To remove, just reverse, push one side at a time back and forth while pushing up and back. Once it's out about 1/3 of the way, just pull down on the back of it, it'll teeter down, jump in the bed and stand up.

It's a bit of a work out, but doable, I've done it for the last 4 seasons. The chute is a biaaatch solo, get something to stand on and bear hug it...lift with your knees, you're back will kill you if you don't.

Building a hoist stand this year out of 6x6, getting sick of man handling it myself.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015