1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

polycaster problems

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by richsoucie, Jan 12, 2010.

1. richsoucie

richsoucie Member

having an issue with my poly-caster when i turn it on it flashes 6 times for low voltage. i tested the voltage at the end of the truck side harness and it is good. just rebuilt the motor and thinking that was the problem took it off and connected it directly to the battery and it works flawlessly. if i disconnect the harness with the controller on and plug it back in the motor spins up for a second then stops. i am running out of ideas so any input is greatly appreciated

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

It is not only voltage but amperage.. probably a bad wire in the harness.. or could be bad conection(ground).. clean all terminals and make sure everything is tight It seems you have narrowed it down to the harness..

3. richsoucie

richsoucie Member

does anyone know how the diagnostic determines a low voltage condition cause i think it would be easier to pinpoint the problem if i knew how it worked

4. richsoucie

richsoucie Member

ok heres the update the motor runs when hard wired to the battery and multi-meter tests 12 to 14 volts at the leads on the truck harness where it connects to the motor

5. plowinginma

from MA

and the amp draw would be???...

6. richsoucie

richsoucie Member

couldnt find a multimeter that goes to 80 amps mine only goes to 10

7. plowinginma

from MA

you can use a load tester if you have one..

8. richsoucie

richsoucie Member

im gonna have to borrow one from a friend what should the amp draw be

9. richsoucie

richsoucie Member

another update connected the motor to the battery through a 80 amp inline fuse it spun for about 2 minutes before blowing the fuse. the only change made to the motor was new bearings and the power leads are now 6 gauge instead of 8 gauge

10. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

I don't know if it is part of the problem, but my local dealer who I bought my poly from just advised me that Fisher is now advising them to tell customers 2 things regarding the use of the Poly Spreader:

-Make sure that there is 2-3" of slack in the conveyor at the point 2.5' in from either end for correct tension

-Keep the rear gate open more (4 or 5 notches maybe?) and slow down conveyor speed. Personally I don't do this one, because I worry about salt flowing out.

Apparently the spreaders have been binding up some from the load and going over current. Ours did this a few times when we let a load sit. We opened up the rear gate, and used a monkey wrench to manually turn the conveyor a few turns at the shaft that drives the conveyor gear. In each case it lightened up the tension enough to make it work by pushing blast to get it moving again. Since we tensioned the conveyor correctly, it has been fine.

11. richsoucie

richsoucie Member

dont think its that cause the problem occurs even when the chain is not connected

12. Al DeMaio

Al DeMaio Junior Member

It sounds like a problem wit the spreader module. That module is basically a computer that deciphers all the input from the controller to sander and sander to controller. We've seen a few of these fail, especially when someone inexpreinced starts poking and prodding where they don't belong

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have run mine for two plus seasons, well over a hundred ton through it. Mostly sand. I have had to tighten the belt each season. Basically I know I need to tighten it when the cog is spinning but the belt is not moving:D I blew the 100 amp fuse this year, first one. Put in another, no problems since.

14. richsoucie

richsoucie Member

still didnt get an ammeter im gonna go buy one on the 29th when i get my taxes. but when the motor is not connected there is 12v on the motor leads. when the motor is connected and you hit the start button only 2.7v then the low voltage indicator comes on and 0v

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Where are you reading the 2.7 volts?

16. richsoucie

richsoucie Member

where the motor leads connect to the wires coming off the module

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What's the voltage at the module where the POWER cable connects to it? This will tell you what the voltage coming into the module is when you turn the spreader on. Check it with the motor hooked up,

18. plowinginma

from MA

HMMMMM I could be wrong ... but did you at least check?? or maybe you could tell us what you think it is and we could give an opinion if we think that might not cause your problem..

19. richsoucie

richsoucie Member

i checked all the wires cleaned all the connections took the module out and jumped the wires and the motor runs. with the module in when you turn the controller on it onle gets 2.7v at the motor with the motor disconnected there is 12 volts on the wires im thinking it is a bad module

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What is the voltage coming in to the module when you turn the unit on with the motor connected? You might have 12 volts coming in with no load, but have a voltage drop when you try to pull a current through.