1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Polycaster issues

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by peteo1, Nov 16, 2012.

1. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

So we went over everything today and the polycaster has an issue. Unfortunately it must be stored outside in the offseason. Plugged it in and the motor works fine & the spinner spins, however the chains will not work. Took the drive chain off the motors and the motor works great and the gearbox for the hopper chains works fine. The problem is when the drive chain is on it pulls the motor sprocket and the gearbox sprocket together to where they jam. I wire brushed the chain and soaked everything in fluid film but no go. Found a few links that didn't bend as they should so I'm soaking it in oil over night. If that doesn't work I guess a new drive chain? Anything I may be missing?

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

The drive chain is only about $30 at any farm store. I I started taking mine off at the end of the season and throwing it in a pail of oil for the summer. Never hurts to let the tension off the drag chain as well after giving it a good lube.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I had to replace my chain at least once. As mentioned, pull it off at the end of next season

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. New to the salters so we are learning as we go. Thanks again!