1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Polycaster Help

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by vt properties, Dec 5, 2010.

1. vt properties

vt properties Senior Member
    from vermont

I purchased a new polycaster 2gen about a month ago. Today , my third time using it I got 7 beeps from the controller which means spinner over current ( 32amps for up to 3 seconds) I would try and start again and it sounded like the conveyor would start then it would stop and beep 7 beeps. Anyway I shoveled about a yard out abd it was almost empty but it still did the same thing. So I went back to the office and got the manual and saw what the 7 beeps meant. I took off the spinner assembly and unplugged it then plugged it back in and it worked. My question is what makes the spinner motor go over current? I was spreading salt/sand mix. Any advice or explanation as to why this occurs would be great. Thanks-Phil
  2. sprayguy

sprayguy Junior Member

Phil, i have a gen 1 Polycaster and when that same problem happened to me it was a 1) too much material on conveyor (or material too wet) 2) conveyor too loose.
  3. vt properties

vt properties Senior Member
    from vermont

Thank you, i have been figuring this out by trial and error. If I slowed the conveyor down all is good especially with the heavy wet stuff. It seems when heavy wet sand binds the spinner it happens. Thank you for the response
  4. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

yea, I actually had to shovel out 1 yard of reg rock salt today from the polycaster....it was soft on top, but down near the conveyor it was somewhat harder. Once it was loosened at the bottom, the conveyor ran smoothly. The salt was in the spreader for 2 days @ -18 degree temp.