1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly VS. Steel

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by turbo5560, Sep 15, 2007.

Poly or Steel

1. Poly

19 vote(s)
  2. Steel

25 vote(s)
  1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

I did a search on here for the main difference, but didn't find much. Can anyone tell me what is better. Poly or steel? Does anyone have a steel blade that is a couple years old that is not chipped bad. Pics?

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Brian, I like the polys better because the snow doesn't stick to them, and they don't scratch, well okay they do but you can't see the scratch until you are up close. Some fade with time, but really only if they are left outside for the summer months. Mine always have been garage kept. Aswell as my trucks.
  3. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

Ya, i have been debating what to get because i have the steel right now, but i am also ordering another steel and if i really wanted to get a poly i could just get a poly and give the steel to the other guy. I personally don't like the looks of the poly, but i do like the fact that the color would last and they wouldn't chip. Though i guess boss has some new paint they use to prevent that. Any other words to help me make my decision?
  4. m297

m297 Member

I buy western poly, switched in 2001 and all of your trucks are out fitted with poly. Snow doesn't stick to it, it doesn't rust, western comes with a snow flap. It is a little heavier due to the extra supports but I have to say it looks far better years after its new.

Originally I wasnt sold on the poly worried about the plastic plow, but I have to say I went to a demonstration put on by western and they put a jack hammer on it and it held up, that really made my decision final.

You'll have many years of good service with it, as we are experiencing.

Good Luck
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Steel.:nod: my Boss V is 9yrs old.
    They use a lot of salt on the roads around hear.
    There is a little rust starting around the edges.

The steel for the supports on the poly plow will rusts just as fast as the moldboard does.
    As with any piece of equipment that you run in salt, you will want to wash it often.

Steel is easer to fix than plastic especially at 2AM any day.

Have you ever seen anyone have to take a jackhammer to a steel plow to prove it was strong?

Me eather.:waving:
  6. Wiseguyinc

Wiseguyinc Member
    from MN

I used both. They both work great. The poly had snow sticking to it just like my steel blade and it is heavier to begin with so i just traded with a guy for his steel blade which I like better.
  7. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

BUMP!!! 1/11/11

Hey Boss Gang! I am switching trucks due to a growing family so I will be upgrading my plow as well... I plan on touring the BOSS PLANT in a month or so just to check things out.

I will be purchasing a 8'2" V-XT but haven't decided on a STEEL blade or POLY. I like the fact of the steel blade being rigid and repairable, but I also like the fact that the POLY will stay looking good and somewhat repel the wet snow. 60% of my drives/lots are gravel.

My current plow and previous plows have all be kept inside when not being used, waxed before and after each season, and washed after each use. My Meyer looks good but where they welded the support ribs to the moldboard the moldboard is starting to crack around the welds. :dizzy:

Lastly does anyone polish their poly blades to keep them smooth? Im thinking a car buffer and soft pad with compound to keep it slick.... :confused:

8. White Knight

White Knight Member

Ski wax on the poly skin works well also (still I prefer steel)
  9. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I have an 8.2 steel V on its third winter and love it. I wax the blade a few times each winter ( just put two coats on tonight, about a 15 min. job) and it still looks pretty good. The red, plastic coated markers are starting to turn "pink" Thats what I worried about with a poly mold board.
  10. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

ski wax is a great idea!!

Old Skool
    Do you keep your plow inside or out when not in use?

I just have had a bad track of stones chipping the paint on my steel plows and turning to rust. Im not about to spot paint with rattle can either:dizzy: But I dont want to spend $5K on a plow and not be happy with it (cracking or ??)

any more input?
  11. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I have always kept it inside other than a couple of months last summer while working on a project in my shop. I suppose that is when most of the fading happened?
  12. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

12 years on my steel 9-2 V,never been re-painted and still looks pretty good.Fantastic plow.No wax or anything fancy,just gets washed after every storm.