1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly vs. Steel V Plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by plowin101, Oct 8, 2006.

1. plowin101

plowin101 Junior Member
    from ohio

I'm going to purchase 2 new 9'6" V blades and wanted to hear some pros and cons on the steel and poly versions. I will be adding wings to at least one of the blades.

Ryan

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

9.6 with wings would be around 13ft wide. :dizzy:
    Q. What are you going to push it with?

What are the weight differences between the steel and the poly?

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I dont know if I can help but the BOSS Poly V I am buying weighs about 60lbs more than their steel V blade. My Meyers ploy 7.5 straight blade definetly weighs more than the steel mold board we bought last year. I'm sure all the ploy's weigh more due to all the extra bracing.

4. plowin101

plowin101 Junior Member
    from ohio

A. 3/4 ton Super Duty 4x4 5.4 auto trans. Most of our lots do not have real long passes, in heavy snows i would remove the wings.

5. plowin101

plowin101 Junior Member
    from ohio

I know the weight difference. What i want to know is the strength and longevity of the two.

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the poly. It won't rust and the snow falls right off of them, I always liked my poly plows.

7. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

No cons on my poly. I have only had it for two seasons. Strength wise steel gets the edge but I didn't think it was much of a factor. No rust, no painting when I dig it out of the garage. :D

8. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Poly is the way to go. You'll be glad you did. Just as strong as the steel and the weight on the new MVP's is the same either way. I went and looked at them both and they are the exact same plow and just have either the steel panels or the poly panels. They are both held in with 4 bolts on top on each side and fit in a channel on the bottom.

With this, you could actually change between steel and poly if you ever wanted to. With this said, I still think poly is the way to go hands down. I wish Western would make a 9' Poly Pro Plus.