1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

poly vs steel salt spreader 8ft.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chev2500plow, Dec 3, 2007.

1. chev2500plow

chev2500plow Member

I was wondering if there is any difference in the way they operate, if one is better than the other, or is it just the weight difference. thank you.
  2. chev2500plow

chev2500plow Member

sorry wrong spot

clicked on wrong one
  3. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

My PolyCaster works well so far. Turns out there isn't much difference in weight. The PolyCaster and small steel Speedcaster both go for about 600 lbs. I don't know if sunlight will become an issue with the plastic, but it will never rust. The conveyor assembly is stainless. I like it, and the variable speed electric motor is sweet.
  4. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

the whole thing wiht ploy or steel vbox's is the fact that with ploy its electric and you dotn have to deal with choke and carb problems and gas and this and that,and rust..but in all honesty when it comes down to it , maintenace keep ur equipment in top shape and you wont see these problems
  5. Jim Karns

Jim Karns Member

I guess i't's going to boil down to personal preference. Gas VS. electric, Stainless steel VS mild steel (bad) VS plastic, I've been using a SS Smith electric spreader for 10 years. NEVER had a problem. I kept the sander clean and greased. When I sold the truck last year - the sander was part of the deal. It was still running on the same gear and feed chains! I went out and bought another Smith SS electric for the new truck - why switch?!.
    I wouldn't recommend any other way to sand.
    Just my .02
    Jim` :salute: