1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly vs. Steel Blades

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Power Place, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Power Place

Power Place Junior Member

Any thoughts on the BOSS ploy straight blades? I don't have any experience with them and my first reaction is that they won't hold up as well as a steel blade. Some feedback I've gotten is the poly holds up as well, or even better, than a steel blade and the snow doesn't stick to them. I was also told that the steel reinforcements make a huge difference in the longevity and rigidity. I'm worried about hitting a curb a 10 mph and the moldboard cracking. Looking to put a BOSS poly straight blade on a John Deere XUV gator 625i, 825i or 855D.

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

You should post your question in the "Boss" section. I think you will get a lot of responses there.
  3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Well you can replace a poly moldboard with a piece of plastic and limp through a storm.
    A steel one is stronger and won't fade but it rusts and if it cracks or for some reason gets a hole or bends, you have to rose bud it to bend it back or weld it.
    Poly is heaved because of the frame.
    If I were in your shoes, I'd go with steel.
  4. WayneSnow

WayneSnow Senior Member

i have a 52" cycle country poly plow and i love it, never had any problems. I have slammed the plow into curbs and bumps and it is very strong