1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly vs Stainless Steel

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by normsled, Dec 30, 2015.

1. normsled

normsled Junior Member

What are the benefits and drawbacks of each?

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

http://www.bossplow.com/content/pdf/boss-whitepaper-poly-versus-stainless-steel.pdf

http://info.bossplow.com/Blog/bid/99070/10-Things-To-Consider-When-Buying-a-Snowplow

Blade Materials – Poly Vs Stainless Steel vs Mild Steel
    On the commercial plow side: All three materials will do the job for you, but each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

-Poly is the slickest material of the three, as such, snow will not stick to the blade and will slide off the blade further and faster than it will with the other materials – as such, it is becoming the choice of more and more professionals out there. It is also extremely corrosion resistant and scratch resistant.
    -Stainless Steel has visual appeal and corrosion resistance and perhaps a slight advantage in “slickness” versus mild steel, but it is also prone to denting – any rocks you hit will leave “dings” and over the course of time, this will become unsightly and may affect the plow’s performance.
    -Mild steel has been used to manufacture plows for decades. This workhorse proves durability, rigidity and excellent value.

-One common myth to dispel: Poly plows are not lighter than their steel counterparts. In fact, they are usually heavier. Why? Because the poly material lacks the rigidity of steel, it must be “backed” or reinforced with even more steel in order to keeps it shape. As such – poly plows are commonly heavier than steel plows.

Hope that sums it up Thumbs Up

3. J.onathan

J.onathan Junior Member

Good info!

I always assumed the poly plows weighed a hell of a lot less than the steel ones

4. Philbilly2

Another thing that sucks on poly is the sun fading if you leave it outside... after a handful of years, your plow will look pink.

Although if you leave a mild steel plow outside, it will eventually turn brown... :laughing:

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

To add to this: Blade with SS or Poly Moldboards still have Carbon steel frames and rust is still an issue.
    Over time Poly Moldboards will get scratched up if you do gravel or dirt roads which can affect how the snow rolls.
    The sun will fade the color of the Poly Moldboard, the UV's from the sun over time will also start to degrade the Poly resulting in a rough surface finish. I ran a Meyer Straight blade with a Poly Moldboard that was on the truck from 1997-2013. I put a Carbon Steel V on in 2013, I didn't see the value in SS or Poly.

6. normsled

normsled Junior Member

The Western website says that their MVP 3 Poly is 890 lbs and the stainless is 940

7. Philbilly2

MVP3 is a different animal - You should see all the bracing on the back my Mild Steel MVP3 - it is impressive... but heavy

8. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

6'8" western suburbanite 250 lb poly

6'8" Meyer DP 375 lb steel

Assuming one way or the other and there is a good chance one can be wrong. Best to look up the specifications.

9. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Ok with homeowner plows poly may be lighter, professional grade boss 8' 2" v is heavier poly than mild steel, ss is heavier than poly.

10. Philbilly2

Good lord... If we are going to post weights all afternoon, then here we go I got the time on my hands.

Read my post better - it says:

in the forth line:
    On the commercial plow side:

and line 12:
    One common myth to dispel: Poly plows are not lighter than their steel counterparts. In fact, they are usually heavier. Why? Because the poly material lacks the rigidity of steel, it must be “backed” or reinforced with even more steel in order to keeps it shape. As such – poly plows are commonly heavier than steel plows.

It is not an exact science, but more times than not, it will ring true on commercial use plows.

Here is a quick search of the most commonly purchased plow blades.

Western Pro Steel - 8' - 668lb
    Western Pro Ploy - 8' - 698lb

Western Pro Steel - 7.6 - 653lb
    Western Pro Poly - 7.6 - 677lb

Boss Super Duty Steel - 8' - 698lb
    Boss Super Duty Poly - 8' - 722lb

Boss Super Duty Steel - 7.6' - 680lb
    Boss Super Duty Poly - 7.6' - 706lb

Meyer made it really easy for me - across the board I don't see one plow in steel that is heavier that it's likewise counterpart...

All that is trying to be said this that for years the common misconception is that you get a poly blade as the poly will be lighter than the same manufacturer on the same plow in a steel blade. That is not always try. First thought is poly... that is lighter than steel, but when you look behind the plow, it is a large amount of steel back there to brace the ploy so you don't punch a hole in it.

There are always loop holes in the system if you search hard enough except death and taxes... those are a definite. Thumbs Up

Plow weights.jpg

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

So I'm aboot half way between the Western and Meyer weighing in at 290# and I'm also 6'8":rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. Philbilly2

Priceless :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

my next plow will be a western 9.6 ss with wings

14. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I never knew they could pile it that high. :drinkup:

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Good German, Swedish and Scottish genetics.Thumbs Up

16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

And here I thought all about your clean living

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

That too..... Fresh air, sunshine, good food and a can-do attitude.......Thumbs UpThumbs Up

18. Philbilly2

Will that be lighter or heavier that poly? :laughing:

19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

More importantly, air density and gravity.

20. Philbilly2

Jokes huh... lol