1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

poly verses steel

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chesterlawn, Nov 19, 2005.

1. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

I used to plow with a steel blade but got out of plowing for a couple of years.
    I decided to plow again and ordered a poly plow can anybody tell me the pros and cons of plot?

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

poly weighs more but the snow doesn't stick to it.

3. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

my poly weighs less.... I have a steel and a poly snoway... i like them both, but next time i won't spend the extra money on the poly.... I don't see any benefit in the few pounds you save with the poly unless you have a half ton truck.

Chris

4. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Poly plows don't rust!! Some fade but the have fix that problem as well.

5. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

The Poly part of the blade doesn't rust, but the frame of the blade still rusts, so IMHO it's a waste money....

Chris

6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I've gon plastic and will never go back. Looks like the same for the sander. New Ploy Hawk and I am happy so far

7. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Poly

Same here. Had steel for years and switched to POLY. I like keeping my equipment in excellent condition all the way around.

Yes the back (frame) portion of the POLY is still steel, but with a little care and some WD40 every so often, my POLY plow still looks like the day I bought it.

And as far as the color goes, I use some RED color wax and it keeps the color looking new as well.

8. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

If it weighs less, does that affect its downforce on the ground?

9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

at least for boss plows a poly weighs more. a 9'2" steel is 928 lbs, and a 9'2" poly is 956 lbs.
    a poly plow will still have snow stick to it but no where near as much as a steel will. if i had to buy my plow again i would go with a poly.

10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Hey Superduty. I thought you would grab those hotels I put up in the employment section.

11. Raydon

Raydon Member

Poly on an Arctic is also heavier. I like my "Poly". Can easily remove poly moldboard and sandblast and repaint frame.

12. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

right now i am not sure if i will be plowing this winter. i might have a new job lined up but am not sure yet. if it doesnt work out i will be a sub for my work and right now they have to much lined up and are looking for 1-2 subs as is.

13. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

My poly is fifty pounds lighter or so, but it doesn't affect the downpressure, b/c I have the downpressure option from Snoway.... Works awesome!

14. ultimate snow

ultimate snow Junior Member

whats the fix on the poly fading ?:waving: