1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly Vbox recommendations

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DirtyJerzey, Dec 4, 2010.

1. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

Going to be buying another spreader very shortly and wanted some input from you guys. I was pretty dead set on a Snow Ex V Max 8500/SP8500. I see a lot of these being used an a buddy of mine has quite a few of them that have been going strong for years. I called me dealer up and the price was insane right around $6500 installed. He recommended going with a new Western Tornado or Blizzard Ice chaser either the 1.8 or 2.5 yarder. $4500 installed. His Co. got rid of their Snow Ex models and went with Blizzards and said he would never go back. He told me that the Snow Ex ones are ok but doesnt understand how they can justify being 2grand more then the blizzard or western. What do you guys have for some input, thanks
  2. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

Just purchased a new Salt Dogg poly V-Box 2000 series and used it this past Wed. and it was AWESOME !!! (Went from a SnowEx 1075 tailgate spreader). Saved my back big time. Did not buy the SnowEx due to price (and their controllers are junk) and I have several friends that have the Salt Dogg and they loved them. I paid $3000.00 out the door for mine. Installation was a breeze ! For the price and performance, I don't think you can beat the Salt Dogg. (In my opinion only)
  3. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

salt dogg 2 yd is a must like snow guy said.
    install is put it in your bed strap it down
    run wire harness from back to the controller
    another from the controller to the battery
    and one to the fuse panel and your ready
    and there half the money of Snow EXpensive
  4. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

replaced one of our snow ex with a stainless steel salt dogg and have been very happy, hopping to replace the rest of the snow ex with salt doggs over the course of the next couple of years
  5. KustomKare

KustomKare Junior Member

i also just got a Salt Dogg a week ago and wow what a nice unit
  6. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

I have a Tornao and I have no complaints, spill guard/cover works GREAT.
  7. DistinctiveDave

DistinctiveDave Senior Member

I bought a slightly used Vmaxx 8500 a few years back for $3500. I think its a great unit, but when you compare price on these vboxes, I would have a hard time spending $6500-$7000 on a new Snow ex, when there are others out there just as good. My buddy has a 2 tornados, the small one for a pickup and the large one for a flat bed. He loves them.
  8. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

Thanks everyone, Im sure now that electric/poly spreaders have been out for a good amount of years now they are all pretty much in the same bought now. I like how blizzard/western went back to having a chain conveyor has I heard a lot of problems came from that belt conveyor. I think Im going to boil everything down by price and dealer support. Ive always liked the Snow Ex models but big money for a crappy controller and the price is much higher then everyone else.
  9. DistinctiveDave

DistinctiveDave Senior Member

Snow ex has changed the controllers with the V-Maxx line of spreaders. Ive had mine 3 or 4 seasons and havent had one problem with the controller and there have been several times it has gone into auto reverse because I overloaded it, or this last time, forgot to put the extended baffle in. :sleeping:

I knew someone that had the old Vee-Pro 8000 and he went thru a controller every year. Not the case anymore.

Also something else to consider is that the V-Maxx has a full length auger in the base of the V. No chains or belts to break.
  10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I just bought a Downeaster 2yd poly V box and so far cant say enough good things about it. I did a quick review on it a couple weeks ago. It was simple to install and the pattern is awesome! Its throwing salt 20ft each way and its very quiet and solid. So far we have about 12 tons through it and no problems. 2 things I liked was it came with a huge vibrator (which I havent had to use yet) and a nice top screen. PM Collin from Columbia land Truck and trailer (he is a sponsor on here) He can hook you up.