1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly V vs Steel V

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by BigBoyBob, Apr 18, 2011.

1. BigBoyBob

BigBoyBob Junior Member
    from SD

A bit of back story. I plow my own private road and driveway which is about 300 yards from City/County maintain asphalt. The road is gravel part of the driveway is concrete. I also do a small parking lot for a local autoshop where a buddy of mine works. They let use the hoist give me a break on parts etc. Really helps me fix stuff ect. I also do the occasional friend or family member or friend of a friend driveway. Seems when a bunch of snow falls I have a-lot of friends.

I am in north central South Dakota we get a-lot of drifting Currently I am running an older Boss V plow on a 3/4 ton chevy sub. I had thought about just going with a smaller straight plow but I just can't. The plow itself is in very good shape but I want something different for the truck. It has become apparent that the RT2 Mount for a 99 or new truck is hard to come by.

So I am thinking about switching to a new plow as well and I am wondering how the Poly V hold up. I like having the big hunk of steel in front but it is a-lot of extra weight and do not drive like an mad man so I do not know if it is needed.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Stick with Boss.The poly weight more then steel anyways.Besides they are easy to take off.

3. BigBoyBob

BigBoyBob Junior Member
    from SD

I had no idea that the Poly was heavier I just assumed since it was poly it would be lighter. I guess they have to beef it up with bracing so that makes up for what your saving with the Poly. Is the RT3 easier than the RT2 frankly the RT2 can be a big pain in the A@@

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Very easy.

5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

You will love the RT3. I agree with GV, get a steel one. I'd consider the VXT since you deal with a lot of drifting.

6. Schnabel Plowin

Schnabel Plowin Senior Member

The poly plows need much more bracing (steel) than a steel blade, so that's why it weighs more.

7. Schnabel Plowin

Schnabel Plowin Senior Member

The poly plows need much more bracing (steel) than a steel blade, so that's why it weighs more.

8. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

The poly v plow is just as tough or tougher than the steel plow any day of the week. If you hit something hard enough to bend, tear or puncture one of them then the other is also likely going to end up the same. The weight difference is negligible. If you want to throw the snow further ... get poly ... VXT. If you're tired of carrying around 300 lbs of frozen slush on the moldboard ... get a poly. If you're tired of painting a rusty moldboard ... get a poly. For 12 years I kept buying and plowing with steel blades then finally tried a poly and I will NEVER go back to steel for any reason. The steel versions are a little cheaper but that is their only good point. If I had to buy a steel blade I would at least put a poly skin on it.

9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Steel blade is much tougher than a poly board. You'll never see a stick driven straight through a steel plow. All plows break, but a poly moldboard is more likely to break. The fact that they have to add so much extra bracing to the poly is evidence enough. A properly treated steel moldboard will carry no more frozen slush around than a poly board will. There are a bunch of the poly plows around here, and they stick just as much as any other steel plow. You may not need to paint a poly moldboard due to rust, but the other 70% of the plow that IS made with steel still needs to be done. Plus, a poly moldboard fades terribly, basically turning pink after several years.

To each his own, but I'm not spending several hundred dollars more for a heavier version of the same plow that I already know works.

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Just check out the spec. page on the web site. A poly V is only 10lbs more than a steel blade. If your familiar with the roads (you know typically there's not a lot of junk on the road) I would go with a poly. Smart Shield or not, the first scratch is going to mean rust shortly after.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The tensile yield levels of the polys used in today's plows easily equals that of steel. Under the right circumstances anything will fail I've seen holes in steel moldboards.
    Poly will take an impact that will leave a permanent impression in steel and return to it's original shape none the worse for wear.
    Poly moldboards don't rust at every scratch, stone chip and stress/flex crack the paint/powder coat.
    Poly moldboards can be replaced at a fraction of the cost a new steel moldboard.
    Poly moldboards shed ice and snow better and offer less friction yield resistance.

12. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

"Plus, a poly moldboard fades terribly, basically turning pink after several years. "

Not if you run a BLACK one!! :D

I have a 8 1/2' Hiniker V, and love it.Thumbs Up

kevlars

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not if you coat it in Bullfrog SPF50

14. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

True. I was only being the devil's advocate. Basically, no plow is perfect, as they all have good and bad points. For the most part, it's all about personal preference.