1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly Spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rustyb265, Jan 6, 2009.

1. rustyb265

rustyb265 Member
    from Mass

Could someone post some pics of a polly spreader and let me know how you guys think they work? Do most of them run on electric? I am purchasing an F350 with single rear wheels and think I may want to go the route of a polly spreader. Seems like it would me easier/lighter for me to take in and out of the truck without heavy machinery available. Any pics and comments would be appreciated!

2. B&K LawnCare

B&K LawnCare Member

This one works great, we added a vibrator to it and that made the sand flow through it a lot better. Two of us can get it out of the truck, but three is definitely better.

Plowsite 4.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  3. rustyb265

rustyb265 Member
    from Mass

thanks for the reply....got a pic by chance? thanks

4. B&K LawnCare

B&K LawnCare Member

yeah sorry, I forgot to attach it

5. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

i have the same one b&k does except its a blizzard Ice chaser (same thing just different color and different name) we used ours once so far and it works great only thing is we use sand salt mix and it bridges up on us a little bit so were getting a vibrator for it. We got it because it doesnt rust, will always start being electric ability to run different types of material and price we got ours for 3995 out the door with install hope this helps

6. rustyb265

rustyb265 Member
    from Mass

Thanks for the info guys....I really appreciate it. When you remove the spreader from the back of the truck, how do you do it? I heard that the motor assembly comes off and then you can just stand up the box off the back of the truck?!? Is that how you do it?

7. rustyb265

rustyb265 Member
    from Mass

Also, is that in a 6 foot bed or does it need to be in an 8 foot bed?

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Love my Saltdogg, liked my Vee Pro8000, but I love my Salt Dogg.

The 2 yard will fit a 6 foot bed.

9. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

My Snow Ex Vee Pro 8000

has been dependable for three seasons now, although I wish it did not have the steel framework, with two vibrators it spreads 50/50 no problem, prior to adding the second vibrator, you had to shovel it back occasionally.

10. fisher guy

i got a 6.8 bed on my 250 it goes the bolt it in for a lil extra they strap it down but they recommend a long bed but not necessary

11. fisher guy

all u need a a 200lb vibrator and ur fine if ur using 50/50 about $185

12. fisher guy

woops didnt see this question yes just take the motor off and slide it out and put on its end it has feet molded on the bottom as u see from b&k's pic fisher,blizzard,and western all make the same unit just pick the color and ur set

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I like mine very much. I remove/install with skidsteer. Before I had the tractor I hung it from four trees with those hand winches on the front of boat trailers. Pretty slick.

14. B&K LawnCare

B&K LawnCare Member

I think the spreader would look very werid in an 8 foot box.

15. rustyb265

rustyb265 Member
    from Mass

I really appreciate all the input. I have a career job and am looking to start a small landscape/plowing business on the side. I want to do it the right way though. I want the right equipment and to charge the right prices. I do not want to be the guy who is lowballing everyone to get work. If I get work I want it to be because my prices are competative and my quality is good. I appreciate the info though. I have plowed for years with other people's equipment but this is the first time I am looking into my own. It makes a big difference! Thanks.

16. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

My subcontractor is a dealer for the Buyers Saltdogg. I've watched him use two of these on my jobsite over the past few storms. Its all electric, with a vibrator to move material. They spread bulk salt very nice.

I have iceoway gas units on our trucks, and these electric units spread just as nice.

They are pretty lightweight and two men can slide them out of a truck.

and the*chute is removeable.

could def. recommend the salt dogg.

------

I also have a snowex veepro on a toolcat. i only run bagged salt thru it, but have had no problems with that either. I have not used bulk with the veepro, so I can't comment on its effectiveness with that.