1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

poly spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JCPM, Feb 26, 2010.

1. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Ok so the poly vbox spreaders have been out for a while, what do you guys think of them. My steel sno-way is about four years old and I would like to replace it next year with a poly/electric if they are really worth the price.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would look for stainless/electric. Poly is fine till you bump something and crack it. They are basically non-repairable.

3. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I would agree that stainless is the way to go if you have the bucks but the poly spreaders can be repaired. I have welded two of them with great results.

4. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Honestly, stainless isn't more expensive.

I like a lot of the features on the poly units. Such as the adjustable shute, the ease of removing the shute, being lighter than stainless, having built in doors on top and being able to store the unit vertically. I just wanted to know if the performance was as good as they advertise.

Plus I think the extra capacity 2.5 yard units look cool as hell.

5. gamberbull13

gamberbull13 Senior Member

My poly seems fine but its only a year old. I know I Guy tho that has one about 4years old or so with no damage and hebacked into a telephone pole with it last storm. Only damage was smashing the back up camera. Go figure: )

6. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

I looked at one in person and it didn't look to hard to strip down and replace the hopper if need be .

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The electric units work fine. I doubt in ten years you'll even be able to get gas engines. Like the engine driven plow pumps, gas engine spreaders will be history.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What did you use to weld the poly spreaders?

9. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Super Glue......:confused::confused::eek:

10. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

You can buy a plastic welder. I bought mine at harbor freight. Cheap one is about $30 and the good one about $70. You plug it in and hook it to a air compresser. It comes with differant rods to weld all kinds of plastic.

Dennis

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I've seen those in the catalog. Always wondered how well they work.

12. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I pound on my hoppers with a 20 oz hammer when I clean out the frozen sand

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I've pounded on my plenty with pipes, shovels, etc.

But that's not quite the same as backing into a tree with 5 tons pushing on it.

14. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Good Point:salute:
    I dont have any trees in my commercial lots though:D

15. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Don't back into trees or anything else for that matter! I've never backed into anything plowing. It's usually (not always) guys who are in a rush, careless and fatigued that hit stuff. If you back into something and hit it that hard my spreader would be the least of my worries. I you hit something that hard a stainless unit is going to get pretty banged up. I've beat the hell out of my Boss poly spreader with a mini sledge when it got jammed up.

16. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Poly is the future, IMHO. If "accident tolerance" is even on your radar, I would hope that "qualified operator" is up there, too.

:D

17. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

My thoughts exactly

18. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

No harm no foul wasn't using it anyways......:laughing:

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So that's not normal? I guess I'll have to change my style after reading your comment. What's amazing is that I've made it six years without your advice. WOW!

Plowing small tree lined driveways can be tricky at times. Throw an ECLB truck with a spreader hanging two feet out the back (behind the crossover toolbox), add running behind, toss in poor visibility; and stuff happens. I actually have a 'bumper' that slides in the Reese to help protect the spinner. But in this spot the trees leaned into the truck and got me.

20. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

I do hate it when that happens. At least it wasn't a parking lot light pole...and at least it didn't fall down.

*That* is funny to see...

:laughing: