1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly Spreader Opinions Needed!!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Groundeffx, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Groundeffx

Groundeffx Junior Member

Our company is involved in a sizable snow/ice management operation. We are very seriously looking into switching to the poly/electric spreaders and are looking for any advice, opinions, reviews, and experiences you have had with these spreaders. Right now we are running all stainless, gas powered, v-box spreaders in a couple of different sizes. These spreaders run constantly throughout a storm so we need something that will handle these conditions. They may run salt, a salt/sand mixture, straight sand, wet salt, wet sand, they may have multiple loads run through them at one time, they may get loaded and have to travel for an hour, they may sit loaded for an extended period of time (we usually try to avoid that but it happens). I prefer them to be easy to load (1-2 men with no loader), reliable, durable, and pretty much be able to handle anything thrown at them. Conveyor or auger? Easy to clean? How do they handle storage during the off season? Wireless or wired? (I'm thinking good old hard wiring is the way to go) Cost? Easy to get parts? Brand? I'll stop rambling now, I think you get the point. Any information is greatly appreciated and don't hold back! Especially from the guys that work through the winters up north. I look forward to hearing from all of you.

2. 3311

3311 Senior Member

Western Tornado 2.5 yard for sure...............

3. Groundeffx

Groundeffx Junior Member

How long have you had the spreader? Have you had any problems with the rubber conveyor? Clogging, bridging, etc.?

4. 3311

3311 Senior Member

No problems at all. I have the model with two motors,one for the conveyor and the other for the belt.

5. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Dont forget to look at the Snow Ex line...less moving parts...,more expensive yes...but quality second to none. No chains or belts...Motors with transmission.patented auger system. The 2.0 yard 8500 is a fantastic unit....2 grease fittings...thats it

6. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I 2nd that.

The newer tornado's use a chain not the belt. I got an 1.8 yarder. I got the tornado at the end of last year used it for 2 storms. It worked great. I plow roads so i go threw alot of salt. I got a couple videos on youtube if you wanna take a look. Or i can post them on here.

7. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

I've heard good things about the tornados too, also you have your guys load sanders with multiple yrds of material BY HAND?!?

8. Mackman

from S.E. PA

I think he means getting the spreader in and out of the truck.

9. 05 superduty

05 superduty Member
    from NJ

Generation 2 Western Tornado 1.5 (or 1.8 or 2.5 depending on capacity needs) Spill gaurd lids and it tells you when its empty. Pretty impressed with the throwing distance too. Also i put mine in and take out myself every storm.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  10. Mackman

from S.E. PA

here are my videos for you of the western 1.8 yarder i got. I did look at the snow ex. Snow ex looks like a good choice but i just could'nt justify the price differences.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4cv2fzVQLRY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4cv2fzVQLRY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lMNFqwiLBT0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lMNFqwiLBT0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  11. 05 superduty

05 superduty Member
    from NJ

:laughing::laughing::laughing:I couldnt help myself

12. GMCHD plower

Well I guess I didnt understand what he said, but it's the way it sounded to me... My jam dropped when I read it haha.

13. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Mackman,
    Did you ever fix your spread pattern problem? i cut off part of the spinner frame on the drivers side so it would spread equally on both sides.,works fine now
    steve

14. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Steve,

Since having for a year , do you like them? pros and cons .Looking to get one this year. Hows it fit in a shortbed? What the max you think you can put in it with doors shut?

Thanks

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Big downfall of the poly spreaders is that when you hit something, it breaks. Metal is much easier to repair. Several companies, including Salt Dogg and Airflow make SS spreaders with two electric motors.

16. Groundeffx

Groundeffx Junior Member

Has anyone used the DownEaster or AirFlo SS with electric motors? How do the motors hold up? I just can't bring myself to spend the money on the SnoEx!! Not really worth it.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

18. GMCHD plower

19. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Going with a 2yrd DownEaster poly/dual electric with variable speed controller. It also comes with a vibrator. Also cam with inverted V and top screen.

20. Groundeffx

Groundeffx Junior Member

What kind of prices were you being quoted?