1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly snow plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bull dozer, Jan 7, 2012.

1. bull dozer

bull dozer Junior Member

Anybody have anything good or bad to say about poly blades for commercial work

2. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Aside from being sick of a straight blade, mine has been really good to me. Rolls the snow nice, no rust, light on the truck. It's a little light for scraping up ice or hard-packed snow, but I'd look at a poly for my next plow, again.

*EDIT - Didn't notice this was in the Western section. Mine's a Meyer poly, but the comments still apply I think.

3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 8' poly on my personal truck and an 8.5 poly mvp at wrok. Would love to see western make a 9' poly. then I'd have no steel plows at work.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Where I work we also build the big highway plows with the huge wings and they too use poly. As with the little westerns, they still have the same steel cutting edge and metal frame. As said above they are light and the moldboard never rusts. I have never seen a poly western that needed the moldboard replaced so that is a good indication to me. I see no reason why they would not be just as good as metal.

5. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

poly blades are heaver then steel

6. kashman

they dont do well for heavy use ........... ribs crack and brake

7. mishnick

Weight is totally dependant on the type of plow. On the big wings the whole reason for using poly is to reduce the weight. In both cases, metal and poly, it depends on the thickness. Of course half an inch of poly is heavier than 1/16" sheet metal. It may be on these small plows that the polys have heavier metal frames than the metal moldboards too.

8. kashman

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Between Steel and poly on 7.5 plow there only 24 lbs difference And poly is the heavier plow person would think it be lighter

In 8ft plow difference is 22lbs poly is heavier plow

10. bull dozer

bull dozer Junior Member

the steel ribs crack & break or the poly breaks when your using for heavy use

11. mishnick

That is interesting, perhaps that's why there are so few real old polys around?

12. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

If weight isn't a factor, then at least I don't have any rust on the blade. I'm sure plenty of guys use their plows harder than me, but mine has held up just fine. Even got backed into with a trailer once, gouged a corner, but didn't bend or crack or anything. If the wieght is the same, what is the advantage of steel blades? Just curious.

13. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

Just every Poly blade plow I have seen up here is tweaked from using them for "heavy" commercial plowing. My friends dad has a 8'-2" BOSS V on his 03 Duramax that has tweaked right wing from plowing camp roads and long driveways and he has told me that if he didn't need the poly to be able to throw the snow as far back as it does he would own a all steel blade. Heck I've even tweaked my all steel Pro Plow when I had it given it wasn't tweaked all that bad but it was still tweaked and I'm no where near as hard on my equipment as some. The majority of the plows I see on trucks where I live are steel.

14. mishnick

Cwby ram... I think the advantage of the steel blade is that it is easier to form and fasten. Poly can't be welded so it has to be bolted or clamped. Sheet steel can be rolled to fit where as poly can be quite difficult to get to fit in place on a curved moldboard especially when they are being installed on those big highway plows. Steel blades are pretty much a lifetime thing but poly does have to be replace from time to time.

15. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

That makes sense. All good points. I'm pretty happy with mine. I'm careful when I plow, but it certainly gets used hard. So far so good!