1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly Skin replacement questions

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by TomB...IN, Jan 10, 2009.

1. TomB...IN

TomB...IN Member
    from Indiana

Hey guys,

Ive got rig all ready to go. Thanks to Basher and Son, and Complete Hydraulic for helping me get all the parts and pieces. Now on to my question.....

I need to replace the skin of my plow. I has a rather larger crack almost right in the middle of the plow. I did a search of the forum, but couldnt find all the answers i wanted. What are my options for replacement. I like I'll stick with poly because of the weight. I would like to spend a little $ as possible (so far no snow this year). I read where some people have gone to a glass shop and had a piece of "poly-lexan" cut to size. Good idea or Bad idea?? Does it bend enough to form to the curve of the plow? If that is not a good idea how much would a Sno-Way replacement cost me (Serial # 25D106XXX)?? Right now I have just bent a piece of thick sheet metal and put it behind the crack.

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

You will have no problem with getting lexan from a glass shop. I don't remember what the thickness is (I run steel now), but I think it is 3/16". I would price out the lexan from the snoway dealer and from a few glass shops. You could also just get a patch made up of thinner 1/8" lexan and rivet it to the old piece and see how that does.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Buying from a glass shop can be an issue for just the one. Unless the shop stocks and will cut and sell a part of a sheet you have a lot of waste. Plus you need to get the right stuff, and some times they just don't have it.

Yes it is 3/16"