1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly separating from support braces?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by dlcs, Dec 31, 2010.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

What do you do to fix a poly plow that the poly is pulling away from the braces? What causes this and can it be fixed? Can I buy just the ploy board and replace it, if so is it expensive to do? Plow seems fine, don't know if it will become a issue later on.

2. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Could doing alot of back dragging be causing the poly to separate?

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's normal, all the Meyer ST and C series poly's do it eventually. It's not the poly sheet that causes the issue it's the moldboard framework itself losing it's radius from impacts/usage therefore basically flattening out and growing height wise. May not be noticeable to the untrained eye that it's getting flatter and slightly taller but it is, until eventually it will begin to crack or tear at the poly mounting fasteners since the ironwork is "growing" but the poly isn't.

The vertical upright ribs being undersized for the job is the root cause and has been for a long time.

4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Could I replace the ploy board when it starts to tear or crack around the fasteners? If so are the poly boards preformed with the curveture or are they flat?

5. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

So ideally a couple more ribs would be added in before it becomes a problem? I guess the otehr option would be to replace the skin with steel and weld it in place?

Just wondering, I've got a 7.5' poly here in my collection.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not much point to replacing the poly sheet with a new one, it will just tear it as well. So either just add backup washers to the existing one to help support it and let it move, or fix the root issue by adding more ribs (flat cut like most other brands use) or yes replace the poly with steel. Other than that there's no stopping it from continuing to flatten out.

7. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

I bought a new st moldboard 2 years ago and where the poly meets the steel ribs they installed rubber. Is this suppose to help the problem?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you give it some thought how is a chunk of rubber going to reinforce the uprights of the moldboard structure? Of course they can't, their job is to support the poly sheet and keep it from rubbing on the steel uprights, nothing more. After it see's enough use you'll find either a bigger and bigger gap between the rubber and poly, the rubber inserts begin to fall out, or one day you'll just discover one or more are gone altogether. :D And it's all due to the same thing we've been discussing, the moldboard structure flatting out and losing it's curve as it's used. They all do eventually.

9. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

I figured they didnt do anything lol. O well been thinking of loosing the poly and rolling some stainless for the front of mine.