1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly Plow on Skid Steer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cold_and_tired, Aug 30, 2010.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

First off, I have no experience with poly plows. I have a buddy of mine that wants to get rid of one of his older poly plows and I figured I could put a mounting plate on it and use it with a skid steer.

I would imagine that if they stand up to trucks that they would stand up to a skid.

Would you guys do it or would you use a steel plow?

2. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I think it work work just fine.

3. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I would pick it up. Poly doesnt let the snow stick as much. That would help the snow roll more. Even better if its a trip edge blade vs a full trip blade.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

after seeing a buddies poly plow always so clean, with no snow sticking, and always looking brand new...I think that's all I want now on.

5. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

i dont know... my red western is somewhat pink from the sun. lol

6. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I went and checked it out. It is an 8.5' Meyer poly that has been trashed. They hit something pretty hard as the A frame has a pretty good bend to it. Fortunately, the board is in pretty good shape.

I have done my fair share of welding and fabrication so I figured I could fix it pretty easy. I offered him $200 and he took it.

Time to get to work!

I'll get pics up when it's finished.

7. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a great deal! :salute:

I wouldn't be concerned about the poly one bit. If Meyer's are like Boss's and Western's polys, the moldboard should be substantially beefier than the steel counterpart to make up for the poly. Probably better suited for a skid really.

The weak point will be the front pivot anyways. My suggestion from experience with quite a few skids & plows, most of which were retro-fit pick-up plows, is DO NOT weld the skid plate directly solid to the plow. The constant DP may seem like a great idea & advantage, but it can tear the plow up in short-order. These plows just weren't designed or engineered for that amount of weight to bear on them.

This is certainly one case where a chain is both simple & efficient.

Good luck with the build.

8. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Almost forgot, a cross-over relief valve is neccessary for longevity as well. I learned the hard way.