1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly or Steel???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lil'PlowinMan93, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Lil'PlowinMan93

Lil'PlowinMan93 Senior Member

I'll be buying a 1500 truck and i want either a western or boss plow. Poly weighs more but won't rust and cost's more. Which way do i go? And i will add Timbrens the day i get the truck no matter what. Which do you prefer? Help! :dizzy:

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I like Poly, you don't have to paint it and the snow doesn't stick.

3. Lil'PlowinMan93

Bump bump bump

4. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I like steel blades. Snow still sticks to polys once they get used, just not as much. And the steel is lighter on my front end. I just think steel blades are tougher. Yeah polys have alot more bracing behind them. I just like my steel blades.

5. Lil'PlowinMan93

Yeah i noticed the bracing on poly's. can you use FF on poly's?

6. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Im sure you could. FF kept snow off my steel blade for about 8 hours or so of plowing if i recall correctly.

7. Lil'PlowinMan93

Yeah i was thinking the same thing.

8. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I just bought a 8.5ft boss superduty back a few months ago and that plow is awesome. The new headlights are really bright. The plow is fast. Id buy a boss but you cant go wrong either way.

9. Lil'PlowinMan93

My closest dealer carries western,boss,and fisher. I LOVE the boss. My neighbor has a superduty straight blade. It's a very fast plow and i like the fact that there is no chain so it does wiggle as much while driving. I think that's what i'll end up with.

10. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Since you talking chain free plows have you looked at blizzard? The 760ld would be a great choice for your truck.

11. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

steel I shatterd one of my poly blades

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Please explain, because I have a poly blade that is from 1985 and it's still fine. Poly doesn't shatter.

13. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You in a hurry:D

14. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

I don't have a lot of experiance with either steel or poly, but I had to make the same choice earlier this year. I wiggled a ploy meyers plow and decided to go with steel. It seems to me that they have to go though a lot more effort to mate the poly to the stee, making it heavier and harder to repair at 3;00 in the morning. But like I said no time test here just an opinion.

15. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Snow will stick to a poly blade, but you are rite about painting steel plows have to be painted every few years.

16. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

Poly or stainless, after 4-5 seasons they don't show the wear (read rust) that the steel blades do.

17. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

ok to explain howi shatterd my poly i hit an ice ball and the noldboard went to peices I know 5 or 6 guys that have done it

18. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

I don't have much experience with poly blades, I've always had steel. My steel blade has been through 4 seasons, going on #5, and I have very minimal rust on the blade. The part I'm seeing the most rust is actually on the frame--the part between teh back of the blade, and the front of the truck.

I'd go with steel though, if I had to choose.

19. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

I like my Poly, just not the brand. Snow still sticks to it but just drop it down and it falls off. I want to get a Boss or Western, but the resale of my meyer is not very high.

20. Lil'PlowinMan93

Well im one of those guys that like's things looking like new. So i'm guessing poly would be best for me lol but you can always use FF on a steel all the time to keep it like new. It's just hard for me to believe that the poly weigh's more. What's all behind that?