1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly or Steel ??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BOSS 444, Jan 2, 2002.

1. BOSS 444

BOSS 444 Member
    from In.

I need to get this new plow bought before it actually snow in Indiana.

What are your thoughts on Poly vs. Steel ??

Pros & Cons of each.

Thanks in advance,
    Boss 444:cool:
  2. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

where are you at in indiana..... Im in Gas City...

I use a steel Boss V.... and love it
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I use all steel plows,but i really want to try a poly plow,i think it would roll snow great,year after year,wihtout repainint or rusting out,sticking of snow to the moldboard should be eliminated too.The reason i didnt go with a ploy on my new Boss,is i got a 9 '2",and the plow already weighs 980 ish,with deflector,and U edge.the ploy wouldve added 48 lbs more weight,and it would have made mounting a U -edge more difficult,due to the recessed mounting area for the steel edge.The final reason was it was 280 dollars more than the Steel too.
  4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

The only poly's I have seen in use around here are Meyer. From talking to the guy that runs them they do very well and have held up for him. Many people here do not think highly of Meyer so that is a personal choice you need to make. Fisher does not make a poly blade so that kinda eliminates me.
  5. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy Member

we use meyer plows, and have both poly and steel. i prefer the steel... poly actually weighs more than steel,(hard to believe but true) and if you have to do any welding on the plow at all, you have to take he poly piece off.. once you take it off th poly never seems to line up right again. plus, around here anyways, poly is much more expensive than steel.. not sure why
  6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Because the poly blades need heavier support in their construction & design, they weigh & cost more? I had a 7.5 Poly Meyer for 4 years. All of the benefits John mentioned were true, it was a great plow & better than the steel ST90's I have had. I traded it last year for an 8' steel plow (C-8) because I wanted to put wings on it (the 8' was a bonus too!). We had a thread here where people had said they had succesfully drilled into their poly plows to mount wings. So if I had seen that before, I probably would still have the poly.
  7. Manx

Manx Senior Member

I bought the poly
    will always look good, never needs to be painted
    I was a few more bucks now but in the long run
    I think it will be cheaper
    Now if it ever snow here
    I'll get to see if any thing sticks to it
    I used armored all on it just to make sure it was slick:)
  8. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

go with poly its looks better and will work out better in the long run :D
  9. Rider1340

Rider1340 Member

I have (2) plow trucks, 1 with steel the other polyethylene.The poly actually weighs 43lbs. more.Both are Meyer 8.5's. BIG difference in snow rolling action,for sure.The poly looks newer and they are the same age.
  10. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

My truck had and 8' meyer poly last year and the blade got so bent that it was like stiaght up and down, it had no curve. Now I have a new 8' meyer metal blade. I personaly would never buy a poly, I've seen a couple other polys' around and they all seem to lose some of thier curve aftera while and start to become straight. There's only like two other guys with poly's aroud here and i"ve seen it on both thier plows and mine. I don't know, maybe other guys have good luck with poly but i don't like them.
  11. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Where in Indiana???

Where in Indiana are you?
  12. BOSS 444

BOSS 444 Member
    from In.

Where I live!

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.

For ceaman & Plow Meister, I am from Huntington, In.

I currently plow w/ two trucks and I am purchasing my third.
    They are:

1) 79' Ford Bronco, 460 gas, meyer c-8 w/ E-47.
    (My starter truck!)

2) 88' Ford F-350, 7.3 diesel, cc, Boss 9'2" power V.

3) 99.5' Ford F-350 SD, 7.3 PSD, Boss ......???????

This is where you guys help out! I know what the 9'2" "V" can do with snow, just wondering if I should stick w/ what works,(steel), or go with the newest, latest, 'greatest'??

So, Is Poly the greatest, is there any reason NOT to get it?
    I am curriuos to here from more guys WITH the poly plows, & why they do or do NOT like them.

Thanks again, & keep the topic open, I need to make a desision.

Boss 444:cool:
  13. sledhead

sledhead Member

Poly or steel

I just hung a new 8ft Western Poly Pro on the Ford, but unfortunatly I cant tell you its plowing caractoristics (sp) yet.
    Ive only been out once and it was just a 4in. push.
    I can tell you that, at least according to Western, the poly blade is only listed as 15lbs heavier than the steel. 745 vs 730. And that includes the "cast iron" shoes at about 20lbs apiece.
    Western only offers the poly blade in 7 1/2 and 8 ft. and it comes standard with the rubber snow deflector.

14. Rider1340

Rider1340 Member

Them poly's dont like 100* heat during the summer months, mine are kept in the garage.
  15. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

poly or steel

Hello i am geting into this for the first time and the local dealers are out of poly plows i have a 98 chevy 2500 excab 4x4 and i am going to get a plow this coming week they are telling me that the steel is just as good if not better what do you all think can my truck handle a steel and for a first timer is steel better? i am really geting siked about this and hope to have some fun and pay for my truck quickly... any help would be great...
  16. sledhead

sledhead Member

Golf man

Pay for the truck?
    I'll be happy to just pay for the blade the way this winter is going.

17. Rider1340

Rider1340 Member

Virginia, I'll have to think about that one.I thought about it ,hold on to that 3500.00. Unless you can use it to make grade or leaf sweeping.
  18. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

golfmanres - Do you have the work lined up already? If not, I think you'll be disappointed if you plan on paying for that truck by pushing snow - especially "quickly". Last year was my first year. I started about this time and didn't make enough to even pay for the plow itself. It is fun, though, sometimes.

An 8' steel should be fine for your 2500. Check with your dealer.
  19. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I just saw your post about needing work and that answered my question.

Good luck.
  20. sledhead

sledhead Member

I gotta agree with Mick, I had sub work lined up even before I picked up the new truck, and that was the 1st of Nov.
    Good luck.