1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly or steel

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Jas, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Jas

Jas Junior Member

New to site, would like some opinions on a new blade. I am thinking about getting a sd fisher for my 2011 gmc k1500 since the dealer excluded the hd. But was wondering to go poly or steel blade. I plow 6 small apartment lots and one gravel lot and lane. I do a little back dragging and any suggestions on models would be appreciated. Would like to get a plow that would last 10-20 years? And that would go on a 3/4 ton on my next truck?

2. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

I got a 7.6 SD last year and I absolutely love it. The first thing I did was change the poly cutting edge to a steel edge. It works ok for back dragging, but, if your gonna be doing a lot of back dragging just get a backdrag edge installed on it. They aren't too much money, anywhere from $250-$450, depending on where you go. Oh, when you change the poly edge to steel, see if they will put a 5/8'' thick edge instead of 1/2''. Let me know how you make out

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 7.5' SD with a poly cutting edge and I think I'm going to put a steel cutting edge on this year. I only plow a few dirt driveways so the poly edge is okay for that but, I want a steel edge so I can scrape better. I would suggest a steel cutting edge for you as well.

4. TheGoat

TheGoat Junior Member
    from Maine

I have the SD as well. I put the steel cutting edge over the poly to add weight to the plow as it is light. Get the 5/8's as it will be heavier. Good luck!!

5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Does it scrape good with the steel and poly edge?

6. Jas

Jas Junior Member

I bought the SD with poly blade last week, I figured I can change it to steel later? But I like the idea of the 5/8" steel over poly? Thanks a lot

7. TheGoat

TheGoat Junior Member
    from Maine

Yes it does. Steel hung below the poly and does a good job.

8. TheGoat

TheGoat Junior Member
    from Maine

The extra weight does make a difference. I would buy the 5/8's but mine has just been through one winter. Still in great shape.
    Good luck!!

9. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

I would take the poly edge completely off, it really only weighs maybe 20lbs and I think you get a better scrapping angle with it off. If you do get the 5/8'' steel edge on, they might have to ream the bolt holes and put heavier duty hardware in. I screwed up when I got my edge on, (forgot to tell them 5/8 instead of 1/2), but it still works great. If you want to add more weight to it, get the backdrag edge on as well as the cutting edge, will probably add close to 100lbs to the weight of the whole set up with both on

10. Jas

Jas Junior Member

Thanks , I diffently like all the choices