1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly or Steel?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Zigracer, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Zigracer

Zigracer Member

What's the consensus here - steel or poly blade? I've only had steel blades on my three plows. I'm having a Meyer ST 7 1/2 foot plow installed this week. I'm leaning toward the poly, but haven't completely decided yet. I've read all the specs, including weight.

What is everyone's preference/experience

2. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I love mine, The only problem I have seen is the Poly is that it is harder to put wings on it. They claim that snow falls off of them easier, but once they get older and scratched, the snow will stick but still not as bad a steel blade.

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'd go with a poly, mine's pretty old and the snow just rolls off of it, Granted we have fluff in Colorado but we just had a spring storm that dumped heavy wet stuff you NE guys are accustom to and again it just rolled off. Another plus is the board won't rust and will always look good no matter old it is. Sure putting wings on it can be somewhat of a challenge but it can be done. I don't currently do any lots so wings really aren't needed but I plan on building some over the summer.

4. tastebeer

tastebeer Member

6 of 1, 1/2 doz the other! Both will do fine. If you go with a Meyer, the older CP series have a 2in taller blade on the poly (not sure about the lot pro). Usually with Meyer the ploy plow is a bit heaver due to more bracing on back of moldboard.

5. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Poly, Period :D

You will never get snow to roll off of anything better than poly , no matter what you treat , spray , rub , or polish it with .

TOM

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Go with the poly as they are less maintenace and stay in better shape then the steel, and it is easier and to put pro wings on the poly. All you need to do is weld the brackets to the outside plow frame. It takes about 40 minutes and if you can weld then they are alot tougher then drilling though with nuts and bolts. I have two polys with wings and they hold up great. Good Luck on your decision.

7. Zigracer

Zigracer Member

Got the plow today - a Meyer 7 1/2 STP (poly). The truck drops about 3/4" measured at the front of the bumper when the plow is raised. Seems pretty good. I never measured my 2008 F-250 with the Fisher HD, nor my previous F-150 with a Meyer 7 1/2, so I don't know how much they dropped.

The shop had to take the skid plate off, but I'm thinking of fashioning a bracket for it, so that it mounts to the plow frame mounting bolts.

Here's a couple of pics if they work. What do you all think?

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Nice, now you just need snow :)

9. RoGrrr

RoGrrr Junior Member

My lane is 1/3 mile long so not only do I have to move snow, I also have to move gravel and dirt/mud from time to time with it. The stuff falls off the poly blade quite well.
    My only gripe is that the blade toggles too easily when pushing gravel and snow, so I have to stop frequently and/or bump it 'up' to reset it. That "sweet spot" which moves the right amount of gravel is kinda hard to find again.

I've run into a number of blades that are rusted thru so I'll stick with my poly blade.