1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

poly or steel 8ft pro plow ?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by maxfantastic, Nov 25, 2009.

1. maxfantastic

maxfantastic Junior Member
    from Ontario

Im looking to get an 8ft western pro for my F350 for residential plowing and was wondering what to get , poly or the steel .I had a mid weight 7.5 poly on my 1500 ram and it was fine but looking at the 8ft poly it has a lot more ribs and makes me think it might rip apart easier.Let me know what you guys think ,give the pros and cons of poly vs steel and if you have any experience with either id love to hear your stories .Thanks

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

the poly plows seem a little tougher to me. plus they dont rust out like the steel moldboard.

3. 33yearsinsnow

33yearsinsnow Senior Member
    from ohio

Yes there are more ribs. The reason for this is becouse you cannot weld to the face for streanth, and this makes the plow about 40# heavier than the steel pro plow. the advantage is it will not rust and the snow does not stick to the poly as much as the steel blade. The poly is a little more expencive but remeber it comes with a deflector and that almost makes up for the difference in price.

4. rvpkanapsky

rvpkanapsky Junior Member

I would go with the steel. It is a lot easier to do repairs (welding) to steel rather than poly. Steel bends, but poly cracks

5. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

i like the steel better

6. Deco

Deco Senior Member

the real question is.....V or STRAIGHT

7. Deco

Deco Senior Member

never seen a poly moldboard crack , twist or break ...but theres always a first:laughing:

8. loudredram

loudredram Member

The first poly proplow we bought in 99 still in service today gets beat on every storm and not a crack in it what so all.....the only problem is its not a red plow any more its pink

9. Deco

Deco Senior Member

10. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Get steel no reason for poly...mine is an 05 and still looks great. And you would have to hit something pretty f*ing hard to break anything.

11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I would go with a poly. My reasons....wont rust, stronger frame (more ribs) and will be a bit heavier which would be better for back dragging. I had a Meyer's poly and it plowed just fine, no cracking, chipping at all. Plus with Western, you can add wings without drilling through the mold board.

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I like the poly myself.....we have a poly plow that has been used commercially since 04/05 season....it seems to have held up better (the moldboard) than similar steel plows...hasnt needed painted either;).....I wish they made a wideout/xls/blizzard style plow w/ poly moldboard:cool:......I see alot more "new" State & City plows with poly than steel, at least around here?

14. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I have some of both. The polys look better longer than the steel... for whatever that's worth. Also, as someone else stated, the poly is heavier... better for backdragging.

15. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

same here, just turns pinkish

16. Winter Cleanup

Winter Cleanup Junior Member

I am new to the business and have no knowledge to pass on except I was doing the same comparison shopping you are and ended up getting a good deal on my western 8' poly pro from 4qte.com... Should be arriving on Monday or Tuesday since Thanksgiving gummed things up. -good luck

17. DAPLOWKING

DAPLOWKING Junior Member
    from NJ

I went poly (Meyer CP-8) in 2005 and would never go back to steel.ussmileyflag