1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

poly or rubber?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ned5485, Feb 16, 2007.

1. ned5485

ned5485 Member

I only have a handfull of residential drives, and about 75% of them have some(if not all) aggregate driveways. Well, one of them has a huge drive with tons of it, and they are offering to buy me a rubber cutting edge. My big question is what is the difference between poly and rubber? Poly seems to be much more expensive, so I assume it is better? Since they are paying I would obviously like to get the best product.

I have a meyer 6.5. I was looking at the sites suggested in an earlier thread, and there seems to be a substantial difference in price for what seems like close to the same thing? Are there possibly different grades of poly? There is not much, if any, description for them.

Also one of the sites said"poly outlasts steel by 3-5 to 1 with normal use" Any comments?

I just want to get as much advice and information as I can, before I make a purchase. Please help. And any suggestions on where to find it would be great also.

2. ned5485

ned5485 Member

Ok, so i have spent the last hour or 2 reading tons of old threads about the poly edges. Maybe I didnt go back far enough, but 5 years seemed pretty far. I haven't learned much, except that some people love em and others hate em.

I figure that in the last 5 years some of you that love them have to have found a good source for purchasing them. Any advice?

3. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

I run a rubber edge on one of the trucks we have, this truck was designed to just plow odd ball driveways like you are talking about (mostly stone driveways and a few pavers). I've had no problems with it, and it does tear up a lot less than the steel edge, but the key to plowing anything that is loose stone or pavers is just extra caution and knowing exactly what you are doing. Good Luck!

4. lawnjocky

lawnjocky Junior Member

Rubber edge

I don't know about poly edges but I have used rubber. I used to do several gas stations so I tried a rubber edge.

The rubber doesn't catch or tear up things like steel. It just bounces/skim's over them. Rubber also creates less noise, a lot less. On gravel you won't dig nearly as bad, for the most part hardly at all ( I don't use skid shoes). The rubber edge last's longer than steel as well but I can't say how much. Rubber makes for a great squeege to clean up slush.

The problem's I had with a rubber edge is it leaves a skim on fresh snow and won't bite on packed snow. When it came to back dragging it was really bad at leaving at lot of snow.

I had comment's from customers, including the service station's, that my finished work didn't look as good before. I could have lived with the complaint's and educated my customer's to the reason for the skimming, but I couldn't stand seeing my competiter's work look better than mine.