1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poly or Rubber Cutting Edge?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by TLB, Sep 30, 2008.

1. TLB

TLB Senior Member

Which do you prefer over steel. I had my driveway sealcoated this summer, all 13 thousand square feet:dizzy: and I don't whant to scratch it up with a steel cutting edge:angry:

Anyone using either one?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Poly, no adjustment required after every use.

3. TLB

TLB Senior Member

Are you using one, if so what is the name of it?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

5. TLB

TLB Senior Member

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

If you used a good sealcoat like starseal and used maxflex and maxdri additive they make you won't need to worry about using a steel edge. It won't stratch it. A buddy of mine did a 4 acre lot last year and we plowed it 5 times last season. Not one stratch in the sealer using steel blades.

7. TLB

TLB Senior Member

I had it done by a local company and when he gave me the bid I did ask him if I would see marks after I plowed, he said that I might. So I thought that I would see if any members had any Idea's and at this time I'm thinking about the poly cutting edge.

itsgottobegreen, does your buddy who plowed the 4 acre lot use shoe's on his plow?

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Nope, its been plowed with a surbanite once, a wideout once, a western 8' straight twice and a 8' protech once.

9. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

i have poly's on a couple of my truck's, like them a lot better compared to rubber, less maint. last longer and clean up better with the heavier snow. $ 4 $ your better off with poly

10. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i used a u edge for one storm very quiet and very forgiving going over rough surfaces but cant scrape like a steel blade.

JR

11. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I was going to say that the shoes might mark it up, but you covered it. They need to make a poly shoe, or maybe they do.