1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

poly mold board

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chris S, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Chris S

Chris S Junior Member

Is it possible to cut out the metal skin on a plow and attach one of those poly mold boards from Northern?

Obviously it will need to be braced but could I just use some ss button head screws to attach the poly to all the bracing. I would just weld some tabs on the bracing so I have something to attach to.

Thanks

2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure how thick....

The only issue I would have is that those poly skins are designed to go over the steel face of your plow(thin).
    I think a poly moldboard is allot thicker on a standard poly plow.
    Just my thoughts.

3. Chris S

Chris S Junior Member

what thickness poly should I be looking for. If this is possible I could just get some from a distibutor.

Thanks

4. Oshkosh

I not familair with the small stuff

Hi,
    The only Poly blade I had was an 11' and it was at least 3/8"thick.
    There is a snowplow warehouse online and I bet they have replacement poly moldboards.
    If not there is a company "Tek Supply" that has allot of industrial stuff like sheet poly etc...They are online also.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

poly plows are designed different than a steel plow. there is more bracing required for poly.

6. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

www.westernplows.com look at the pro poly it is the same splow but poly skin we have one for the skid loader still no prob. after 4 years

7. Chris S

Chris S Junior Member

in my original post I stated that I would definatly add more bracing as needed.

Chris

8. snoking

snoking Senior Member

The bracing should be good....I just measured mine out side and dont see a difference in them.....DO NOT bolt the poly to your supports it needs to float and flew or you will tear it....weld two side stope on each end and a couple on top to keep it in place. The bottom just tucks behind the cutting when you bolt it on

9. Oshkosh

How thick is your Poly moldboard?

Hi,
    Now all he needs to know is how thick the ploy is on the factory setup.
    Allan

10. snoking

snoking Senior Member

Like you said Oshkosh looks to be 3/8 thick

11. Oshkosh

Wow

Wow,even on the smaller ones! I wonder if the roll poly(Quicksilver and others) like they use to line dumptrucks would work???
    Again, "Tek Supply" Carry's all that stuff buy the foot.Would be worth checking into.
    I loved the poly blade on the big truck,no issues!!!

12. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

it goes over the metal i have one it awesome.

13. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

the skin is 3/8" thick on our poly. i know the ploy comes molded to the curve of the plow. I have used the aftermarket poly skins on older steel plows. They work good to cover repairs(turned a 6.5 into a 8' plow), and keep snow from sticking to steel skin...